Chapter V

Carlton woke up from an outrageous dream in an unfamiliar alley. He couldn't remember the dream, but he knew it had been weird. He was lying on the ground in a black shirt and denim jeans, a material he'd never seen before. Carlton began to stand up, but was knocked down again by a ginger-haired woman chasing a graying man in a sleek black suit. They both carried guns. Carlton scrambled out of the alleyway, blocking the morbid sound of a gun shooting its target.
Moments later, the red headed woman stepped out of the alleyway, holstering her gun. She smiled at Carlton.
"Carlton Kay?" She asked.
"Yes..." Carlton answered uncertainly.
"This way." She pulled him up and led him away from the alley. Her voice was gruff but feminine. Her tangled hair was pulled into a messy ponytail. Now that Carlton could see her face better, he saw a multitude of freckles on her nose and cheeks.
"Where are we going?" Carlton inquired.
"Base," was the woman's short answer. Where and what 'base' was, Carlton had no idea, but he followed the woman anyway.
They reached an unimpressive-looking, broken-down theatre. Carlton could make out the outline of neon bubble letters: A D E L P H I. He was about to ask the woman what that meant, but she had rushed inside the theatre. He followed her reluctantly.
"So," the woman's voice radiated throughout the theatre, "I know who you are, but you don't know who I am." She jumped down from one of the highest seats, landing without so much as a scratch. Only later would Carlton realize she shouldn't have been able to do that.
"Amanda St. Peters," she said, shifting the gun she held to her left hand, offering her right hand to Carlton. He took it. Her grip was strong.
"Why am I here?" Carlton asked.
"Good question," Amanda said thoughtfully. "I suppose I'm here to tell you... The government isn't in control. Greenwall's more evil than you'll ever know."