Chapter 27 (part one): Studio Runs

Saturday, February 9, 1980, Minneapolis, MN

Kenya, Angela and I are sitting in our seats of the Orpheum Theatre, waiting for Prince and his band to step foot on the stage. The place is packed. I mean, every single seat is holding someone in it, it's crazy. Almost everyone has a sign that shows how big of a Prince fan they are. My girls and I don't come armed with signs but we are still ready to hear some good music. I saw Prince earlier today but I didn't go backstage with him because I am not trying to lose these seats. People just come in and sit wherever they want to. But, in the meantime, Kenya, Angela and I are just chatting it up, as usual. "Are you excited or what?" This is their first time seeing him perform live so they are hyper and extremely excited. I have seen him preform before so I'm not as over the top as them. I'm still excited but my excitement is toned down a bit. "What is he like onstage? Is he good or is he just wack with good music? Oooh I'm so excited!" Angela squeals as the lights come down.

As you can see, Angela is very excited. "Shhh! The show is about to start. Be quiet." Kenya warns.

"Why would I be quiet at a concert? I am supposed to be loud." Angela replies.

Kenya rolls her eyes and I just laugh at the scene. Before we know it, Prince appears on stage in a zebra speedo and a blue and green shirt, paired with some black thigh high boots. His hair is perfectly blow dried and straightened. I didn't do it today but since I introduced him to the style, I take full credit whenever he wears it . "How are you doing tonight Minneapolis?" He yells to the crowd which earns him a long shout from the audience.

He laughs into the mic and shouts, "I'm glad to be back. I know y'all don't want to hear me talk the whole night. Band! ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!" before the band goes into Soft and Wet from his first album.

"Hey, lover, I got a sugarcane, that I want to lose in you, baby can you stand the pain?" The audience sings along with Prince.

🎶🎶🎶

We are about 30 minutes in and at this time in the show, everyone is up on their feet and on chairs, dancing and singing to the music. It's wild! Everyone is pretty much just having a good ole time. I'm enjoying myself, as well. And it is quite obvious that Angela and Kenya are having a blast, too. Prince had sung Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?, Still Waiting, I Feel For You, Sexy Dancer, Just As Long As We're Together, and he is now finishing up I Wanna Be Your Lover. Kenya was purposely singing the lyrics to me for the reasons that we already know but we don't have to address that. There is no need to go back to that day. I just ignore her and focus on the show.

Now, the band is playing a song that I have never heard before. Even though I don't know this song, I am still dancing to the banging beat. "This is a new song I wrote a while ago. Do y'all wanna hear it?" Prince asks the audience.

"YEAH!" We all scream.

"You heard them! Give 'em some Head! One, two, three, four!" Prince shouts to the band.

Wait a minute...

"What are you writing about?" I question for the third time while bringing my laughter to a stop.

He sighs before breaking everything down "Fine. Since you really want to know what I'm writing about, I'll tell you. So, there are a few types of sex. It goes from regular sex to phone sex to oral sex and whatever else the world wants to come up with. Right now, I'm writing about oral sex. It is commonly known as head. Have you ever heard of or had been given or given someone head?" Prince questions normally as if this is an everyday conversation topic.