Bad Liar

The doorbell sounded off just loud enough to catch my attention, and I skidded out of my bedroom, sliding down the wooden hallways until I slammed against the front door, peering out of the peephole at my guest.

"Who is it!" I sang through the door, squinting at Mel as he shuffled back and forth on his feet, looking impatient.

"Brendon, open this damn door before I kick it in," he grinned and pounded harshly, rattling the doorframe.

I smiled widely and stepped back, "baby you know I have nothing but love for you, but I only welcome guests into this home, and I don't believe you have been invited," I sassed back to him, pursing my lips.

I could just visualize his annoyance and that made me smile even wider.

"C'mon baby, just let me in, I have a special surprise for you if you open up," Mel sang back to me.

I doubled over in laughter and immediately shot back up, opening the blinds on the nearest window to see my "surprise."

"Bitch, you don't have shit," I hollered back, swinging the door open as Mel pushed my chest and walked inside.

"I brought you my company, bitch!" he pointed back at me as he walked through my home like it was his own.

I followed him into the master bedroom, skipping the rest of the way, clutching my heart dramatically, "baby, you're too good to me!"

"Shit, this place is a wreck," Mel commented on the torn out dresser drawers and scattered luggage bags that I was attempting to pack before he came, "you're lucky I'm here, baby."

I pulled my hands through my hair, sucking in a deep breath, "yeah, no seriously I'm fucked. The plane leaves at 1 a.m. and I still need to pack all of my things and hopefully clean this place up so it'll look mildly presentable by the time we get back."

Mel nodded at me with a smirk nestled on his lips, "oh you're thinking that you won't come back here alone."

My cheeks heated slightly and I grabbed a nearby pair of sandals and stuffed them into the open zipper of my black suitcase.

"Sure, I'm hoping this goes well, if that's what you mean," I muttered and continued to pack various items around me.

"Hoping you'll fuck,"

"Mel! Fuck. No, I'm not hoping that," I sneered at him and threw in a pair of crew socks.

I paused. Did I need those? Probably not. I threw the socks out and rummaged through my dresser for swim shorts.

"You're a bad fucking liar, you know that?" He laughed wickedly and threw me the shorts I was looking for.

I huffed and stored them into the suitcase.

Maybe he was right. Not about the fucking part, but I definitely was hoping to impress Beth. I kind of felt like I had been granted a last chance to redemption, and if I wasn't able to change her mind about me on this trip, then there wasn't any point in trying anymore. I was serious too.

I also decided that if we couldn't resolve things then I would come clean about our relationship. I hated the lies and the deceit and I think all this time I was only okay with it because I had never really come to terms that our relationship could be over.