Beginning of the end

If Spilling cereal and milk all over your 'first day' outfit wasn't a bad omen, what was?

It had taken me two full weeks too afford this dress, and I had been really proud. For once I had earned something! Then Cinnamon toast crunch had to go and ruin it.

damn cannibalistic cereal.

I tapped my fingers anxiously on our kitchens island marble countertop, contemplating my choices.

1) I could settle for a T-shirt

2) I could die

Dramatic? Not at all. Considering today was my first day of Senior year- I had to make a statement.

Suddenly my phone buzzed loudly, and I glanced over at it- annoyed.

The home page read "Tad"

And I smiled slightly, taking the heavy blackberry in my hand.

"Hey." A deep voice rang out, and I shuddered.

"Tad. You don't sound gay for once."

His laugh reverberated through the kitchen, causing me to laugh along. I could always count on my best friend to cheer me up.

Well actually, by cheering him up- I in return cheered up myself.

I need no one!

"So. What is the ugly princess wearing this fine morning?"

I sighed, biting my free hands nails.

"Nothing I-"

"You're going to school Nude? When you said you were going to make a statement I had no ide-"

"Shut up!" I bellowed, tossing the phone from the kitchen to the living room couch; which was located closely by. I then proceeded to quickly retrieve it.

"I am not going to school nude. No matter what you-"

And of course, that was the precise moment my mother decided to walk in.

Her eyes wide, she snapped all attention to the phone.

"Bye Tad!"

I whisper yelled, fiddling with the "end call" button.

"See ya sexy." He managed to sneak in.

That boy aggravates me.

"Amy!" My mom was steaming, and I innocently smiled.

"You know guys?" I lamely attempted- already heading upstairs to change.

Her lecture was muffled by my bedroom walls, as I settled for yet another boring brown plaid shirt.

I drove to school in my rusty ford pickup truck, lowering the blasting radios volume as the school came into view.

It hurt to Lower Keith Urbans voice- but I had to.

I hope he knows that.

I parked in Senior Way, noticing I was one of the first to arrive.

I couldn't be fashionably late if I wanted to.

The school was relatively big, but today it no longer seemed intimidating.

Today, and all the days to follow, I owned this school.

The first thing you should know about Birch Meyers Highschool is that we are no less stereotypical than the rest.

The first day, fish are selected. If you are unsure of what a fish is, I am keen to inform you that it is indeed a insulting nickname given to clueless freshman.

As a new member of the Royals, aka seniors, I was to have my own. My friend, Maia, was happy to oblige signing me up for one.

I patiently sat down in the Junior/senior cafeteria- swinging my phone around limply.

School starts at 9:00, and it was 7:30.

Maybe I was a little too early.

Realising this, I attempted to beat my Temple run record for nearly a full hour. It was extremely perplexing.

That was, until I began to hear the roar of engines and squeaking of tires.

The freshman have arrived.

I could tell because they usually always came early, as I had observed in the past, to scope out classes.

A tiny, frail looking girl nervously pushed open the senior way doors.

I frowned. This was only for the upperclassmen.

It was her first day though. Maybe I should warn her?

No, I had been informed freshman needed to learn on their own.

According to the football team, at least.

She walked by the glass cafeteria, dazed. I noticed her map was covered in bright lines. Had she been mapping out her schedule?

Oh, I couldn't help myself.

I shoved my purple backpack under the lunch table, and made my way over.

"Hey, you!"

I spoke harsher than I thought I would- and sighed at her concerned expression.

"I'm sorry." She apologised. "But do I know you?"

I looked her up and down.

"No. I just came over to see if you were alright." I cleared my throat, "fish."

She chuckled. "My names Talia. Talia Walker."

"I'm Amy. fish."

Now she looked slightly annoyed.

"I'm not a fish. I'm a senior."

Dang it. Now I've don't it. I've managed to completely make a fool of myself- and school hasn't even officially began yet.

"Oh. I've just, I mean, I just assumed."

Her smile returned. "It's okay. In a way, I am a fish. New here and all."

Now that I got a good look at her, she did seem average size, and her eyes glowed with a thirst for knowledge.

"I could give you a tour?"

She looked at me.

"It's fine. I'll find my way. I don't really want to be a-"

"You're no bother." I waved my hand, anticipating the end of her sentence.

"Actually, no. I was going to say outcast."

I frowned.

"Look you seem nice. But this is senior year. I want to be popular."

"How do you know I'm not popular?"

She sighed. "Call it instinct, Amy."

Her backpack slipped off one of her shoulders as she walked off, and I sighed.

The damn cereal spill was a bad omen.