March 21, 2014

March 21, 2014

I am a Jamaican--no scratch that, I am a proud Jamaican. A lot of my non-Jamaican readers have been asking me a lot of questions about my country, and some of those questions got me like: 😖😣😆😩😑 DAFUQ!!???!!

So this is chapter is just to address some of the stereotypical thoughts about Jamaica and Jamaicans.

1) We do not all live in huts on the beach or tree-houses in the forest

I live in a 3 bedroom flat in the hood. I have friends that live in mansions with indoor swimming pools and all that chiz, and I have friends that live in tiny apartments in the middle of the city.

For real tho....it's not like an episode of Lost..

2) Smoking weed is not a way of life.

Weed is actually illegal here!! Babies don't smoke weed as a rite of passage and there are not weed forests everywhere you go. I've smoked it once though but only because I was 'experimenting'.

Weed smoking is a big deal though because one of the main religions here is Rastafarianism (which leads to my next point).

3) Dreadlocks? Hell nahh.

The dreadlocks are a symbol of a Rastafarian just like the turban is a symbol of a Muslim. And people who are not Rastafarians wear locks as a fashion just like non-Muslims wear turbans. Kk?

4) We aren't all black.

Jamaica is a mixture of many different races, just like America or anywhere else. But I gotta admit, when I see a white person with a Jamaican accent it does surprise the hell out of me.l, I immediately think they're the coolest thing in the world.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Anymore questions?? Feel free to ask me whatever you want to know about my country and if I get enough legit ones, I'll make another chapter like this one. Because some of these questions tho.. lol. They're just so hilarious...

Ask questions in comments or even dm

Wanna fan?

Wanna vote?

Laterade

~Jay Swizzy