If I Believe You- Everlark (Modern AU)

"If I'm lost, Love, how can I find myself?"- The 1975

Katniss stared out the window dazedly, not paying any attention to Ms. Coin as she went on and on about politics. It wasn't anything new. She never paid her much attention in the class anyway. Her mind was always elsewhere, and it had been that way ever since losing her father to a heart attack two years ago while she was away on a freshman math team trip to Washington D.C.

"Katniss," she heard Ms. Coin say. She quickly looked away from the window and up at her as she stood at the front of the room. "What did I just ask you?"

What did you just ask me? Katniss thought to herself. She hesitantly shrugged, her peers snickering and whispering amongst themselves at her response.

"You know, Miss Everdeen, I can't have you zoning out during this class. You're here to learn and get an education..." Katniss tuned her out once more as she looked down at her hands.

Her father had been her best friend aside from her younger sister, Prim. He was a great man overall. He was a local pastor, and had a church downtown. Everyone respected him and came to him for just about anything. He was versatile, and to Katniss, it seemed like he could do anything he put his mind to. He was a carpenter, a counselor, a teacher- just anything that was needed at that point and time. He had a heart attack that required surgery, and he went into shock on the operating table. From there, his organs started to shut down, and before they knew it, the Everdeen's had lost an important family member. Katniss was on her way back to the hotel room when she got a call from her sobbing mother and sister. She didn't make it to the competition. She stayed in her hotel room until they were able to go home.

After arriving home, she had stopped attending her father's church, like half of the congregation had done when a new pastor took over. There were too many memories associated with him there, and it sent her into an emotional turmoil every time she came near it. She had also started to question God himself and her beliefs, or at least the beliefs she was taught. Was this man really here? And if so, why'd he take such a good man? Why did he break apart her family like he had? Katniss stopped believing what was questionable. She felt like it wasn't needed. If it was him who made my body, he probably shouldn't have made me atheist. 

After class, she went to the bathroom where she waited until the tardy bell. She hated walking in the hallways when they were crowded. She preferred to be alone. Once the bell sounded, Katniss left the bathroom and walked down the hallways silently, her earbuds in her ears and her backpack hefted over one of her shoulders since she never used her locker. She looked up from her feet right as she bumped into a male figure. When she stepped back and began to apologize, she noticed that he must've been a new student. She had never seen him before at school, and it almost seemed like he was glowing, but that was impossible. She blamed it on the impact she had from bumping into his broad stature. He had curly blonde hair, and the bluest eyes she had ever seen. They sparkled in the light, and he smiled charmingly.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't worry about it," he told her as she tried to apologize. "I wasn't watching where I was going either. I'm Peeta," he introduced himself, extending his hand. She hesitantly took his hand, shaking it.

"Katniss," she muttered and he nodded.

"I know, but I should get going. See you later, Katniss." He let go of her hand, smiling once more before walking past her and around the corner.

That was weird- wait, why did he say, "I know" when I told him my name? Katniss turned around and took a few steps towards the corner, looking around it. He was no longer there. It was strange, but she just shook her head, inhaling and sighing deeply. She then went on to her next class, knowing that Mr. Abernathy had grown accustomed to her tardiness.