2 ⇷ meeting

•••

•••

Lauren is my lifesaver. Who would have known the petite blonde would put it on herself to escort me around my new school, make sure I have a friendly face in every class and tell me where her group sits at lunch? Not me, that's for sure. As well as being incredibly kind, Lauren is bubbly, makes me laugh, and confident enough to make bold fashion statements. I never would have though to pair my blue sundress with a red ribbon in my hair and flip flops to match- but here I am. (She came over early this morning demanding to know what I wanted to wear and accessorising around it. It was entertaining to say the least.)

At lunchtime, after a morning of dreadfully boring history lessons, Lauren introduces me to her friends; Ruby, Brynn, Annie and Nadia, as well as all Johnnys friends too. Unfortunately, they're all just as attractive as him- I couldn't get his dazzling smile and bright green eyes out of my head last night. Damn him.

They all natter about themselves while I pick at my food with the Orlando siblings sitting next to me. They're all hilarious, and feed off each other- the energy they give off is contagious. I laugh, learning lots about them all.

Ruby dances- in fact, they all do. She says her forté is jazz and I can easily see that. Her things are coloured brightly; pens, pencils, highlighters and books are all varying shades of yellow, pink and blue. She dresses a lot like me, and is dating Ashton.

Brynn has short blonde hair and gives off a vibe that says don't mess with me. Her backpack is neatly arranged and earplugs dangle from her ears. Apparently, she's extremely flexible and loves contemporary.

Annie doesn't like sitting still, I can tell already. She hums under her breath, leading me to believe she like to sing, and every so often her and Hayden, one of Johnny's friends, share a smile.

Nadia is tall and bossy, but everyone simply jokes and rolls their eyes when she tells them what to do. The girls giggle, the boys grin behind their hands or look away. Johnny and her have history, Lauren whispered it to me- I don't blame him. Nadia is absolutely gorgeous from her green eyes to the spattering of freckles across her body.

Johnny, Hayden and Ashton seem to be best mates, with Johnny as their easygoing leader. He's chill, always wanting to have fun and up for something new.

Carson, Mark and Jacob seem close too, but in a more serious way. They're older than the other boys, but despite that, they all do get along in harmony. Something tells me this group has been the same for years.

When Lauren suggests hanging out as a group in the weekend, everyones excited until Nadia announces that it's raining. Ruby rolls her eyes at her sister. Johnny shares a glance with Lauren between me and they smile secretively.

After some discussion over whether we should go roller skating or watch a movie, we decide on a movie- what could go wrong?

Everyone starts to pair up and talk about who's going with who to the movie. I feel mortified because everyone has a date but me. Annie and Hayden. Lauren and Carson. Ruby and Ashton. Jacob and Nadia. Mark and Brynn.

How ironic that this group has an even amount of people- holy shit. Johnny doesn't have a date I realise, freezing. The rest of the group is quieting down, realising the situation when Nadia hushes them all. I blush furiously, looking down at my plate. How awkward.

Johnny taps my shoulder. I look up at him. He raises an eyebrow and gives me a cocky grin. "Do you want to be my date?"

My heart skips a beat.

"Sure." I say nonchalantly, not pausing to think.

Lauren bursts into giggles. Hayden claps Johnny on his back. We high five, grinning, and the group breaks out into laughter and wolf whistles. My cheeks burn, but I tip my head back and laugh along with them.

And right now, laughing and blushing and joking with these people I've hardly known for half an hour, I feel more at ease than I did with any of my old Canadian friends. This year is going to be the best.

•••

[750 words]