Chapter Two: Social Disputes

The ride was pleasant, I learned everything I had to know. Current objective, getting to class on time. The weather was gloomy, which is ironic. Girl goes missing, cue the stormy weather. The bus came to a stop on the right side of the school. A sea of students walking to their destinations. Some running. When I finally got off the bus, I walked over to the side entrance. She leaned against one of the arches. She smirked at me, and waved. I picked up my pace to get to her. We had to get to art class. We were working on a project together, but we weren't sure what it was we were creating yet. Carmen Rivera, brown hair with dark eyes. We went to middle school together, been friends since. One of the only few trustworthy people out of the entire school, and, she never once got on my nerves. 

She walked up to me and handed me a piece of paper. "Notes for science. Mrs. Jinkins speaks at the light of speed and there's a lot to write down, so, you're welcome," she looks behind me, completely distracted.

"What?" I turned around out of curiosity. I didn't even get to say thanks. Carlos Mendez and Jackson Mills were being put into my dad's cruiser. 

"It's like watching a live episode of Cops," Carmen stared blankly. "We should get to class." She turned quickly and walked through the doors. The boys must be connected to the girl's "disappearance". My bets are on she didn't just disappear. Someone else played a part in this. "Are you coming?" Carmen shouted from inside. I guess so. The halls were always a traffic jam, with it's own accidents and unreasonably awful drivers. Kids going to college in the next few years still don't know which side of the hall to walk; correct answer is the right. I'm a freshman myself and I agree with all other upperclassmen, first years are the most obnoxious. Loud and energetic, they bounce around, always in someone's way. Talk too much. The walk to the art room wasn't too far, but also wasn't close enough in my opinion. I blame the architects who built this school. Though, they did a magnificent job. The inside of this building is definitely something to admire. The grand stairwell that lie in the midst of the center right in front of the glass wall to the cafeteria. For a high school cafeteria, it was small. Very small. My middle school and elementary schools had much larger mess halls. Across from the stairwell was the case of artwork made by students. During lunch I come out and look at it. 

As we walked down the main hall and turned into a corridor on the right, Elaine Lennox and Mary Jane Warren gazed intently at us. Wasn't sure why, but they were fixated at us. I stopped and stared back, while Carmen finally became unhinged from her rant about yellow socks. She looked at me, then them. Elaine strutted over, not breaking eye contact. I felt completely motionless. I wasn't afraid, it was just something about her stare that made me feel as though I was frozen. "Hello," she smiled. Her red hair was styled perfectly, straightened from the top, and was wavy at the bottom. Her eyes were a chocolate brown. Her cherry lipstick fit her. She had a red sweater and a designer skirt, at least, I'd assume. She looked the type to only wear "designer" stuff. 

"Hey," Carmen answered, expressing zero emotion. It was almost telepathic, Carmen and I knew there was something going on here. "Can we help you?" There was no attitude in her tone.

Elaine chewed her gum, she was stressed, but tried not to show it. "Your dad is the sheriff," she nodded at me. "And your mom is the mayor," she gestured at Carmen. "My friend Liz has been missing. If you overhear anything," she darted her eyes back at mine. "I'd like to know anything you do." She was tensed up, but relaxed for a split second. "I'd like to invite you all over at the manor after school, if you are free?" 

"We'll have to see." Carmen smiled. "See you around," they nodded in unison Elaine went back to M.J., and we continued our walk to class. Carmen was quiet for a moment, but once we stood outside the classroom she turned to me. "What our parents know on this case can be classified, and what they do tell us, if they did, I'm pretty sure they don't want us running our mouths to Elaine Lennox," she raised a brow. She opened the door and held it for me as I walked in. "I don't trust her. She's an odd figure." Her voice was hushed now as we went to take our seats. "My mother and the Lennox family aren't on the best of terms." 

"Good morning, everyone!" Mrs. Hopper chirped. She was totally a morning person. Any morning person baffles me, in a good way. If you can be in a good mood just waking up and keeping it that way, you surely deserve an award in my opinion. "Who is Lorenzo Ghiberti, where was he from and what was he known for?" 

A hand shot up. Only one. How did I not know she was in this class? We had just seen her. "Good morning, Mrs. Hopper," she smiled. "Lorenzo Ghiberti was a famous sculptor in the renaissance period, he was from Italy. He was mostly known for bronze doors," Mary Jane sat straight, confident. Her accent on his name was adequate. The teacher grinned and wrote that down on the board. 

"Your projects will be in the style of the renaissance time period, you may create whatever you like as long as it is," she turned to two boys. One had black hair gelled and combed neatly, the other had a chestnut brown color hair that was done up. "School appropriate." Scott Abrams was well mannered, and kind. Never had I ever heard or seen him disrespect another person, and we'd gone to elementary school together. Unfortunately, his best friend can be the opposite at times. 

Neither of them tested Mrs. Hopper though. "Yes, ma'am," they replied with only great respect. We were told to get to work, which we did. At least, most of us. Our supplies was already set out on our tables. I looked over at Carmen to continue our conversation. 

"The Lennox family wanted to try and buy off some of the Paige's land. My mom said no, another family bought it off before them."

"Who bought it?" I leaned closer.

"The Mills." She smirked. 

"What did the Lennox family plan on doing with that land?" I asked.

"You know how Mr. Lennox and Mr. Mills have their business competition?" Carmen messed with her pencil. "That land can put either one of them out of business. More locations, more customers, more money. It's a matter of time." 

I sat and thought for a minute. "Sounds like there's gonna be a founders families brawl." Carmen nodded. "How long has this been going on?" I frowned.

Carmen's whole demeanor changed. "Since before Elizabeth Paige went missing."

Holy shit.