Chapter One: The Introduction

I wasn't sure what was worse, the fact I had forgotten to study for my quiz last night or because I was too occupied texting on my phone and didn't sleep at all. I made an oath to never do that, I took school very seriously and never intended on jeopardizing my school work. Know what else? Unfortunately, I had to take the bus today. My father usually dropped me off to school, but got called to the station and didn't even inform me of which. Oh well. The bus wasn't the issue, it was me. My social anxiety made everything an emotional roller coaster. I sheepishly stood alone at the empty bus stop. I arrived ten minutes early because I feared missing the bus, but I still felt nervous thinking maybe somehow managed to miss it anyway. I wish I could stop overthinking. 

A boy with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes rushed over to me, I knew who he was, and he knew me. We used to hang out, but I got busy with my own stuff, I suppose. "Hey, Tess," he had his hands on his hips. It reminded me of my mother's posture whenever I got in trouble. I don't even know why I found humor in it.

"Hey, Ryan," I smiled at my thoughts. He wore black and red Adidas pants with a blue shirt, which only captured my attention because it didn't match, but I knew he didn't care, and I shouldn't either. Doesn't matter. "What's up?" 

"Did your dad tell you?" He looked puzzled now. "Our parents got called to the station for a reason," he rolled his eyes, playfully, but now got serious. "Elizabeth Paige, a senior at our school was reported missing," he shifts his weight, then pulls out a picture of a girl. She was clearly older than me, she looked mature. She had long brown hair, with green eyes. Unfortunately, I had no knowledge this girl even existed to begin with. "The boys and I are gonna do our own search party, if you wanna join?" 

I thought to myself. I should help. Even though I was skeptic about this whole situation, I could contribute to this girl's situation. Every person counts, right? "Sorry, Ryan. No." I started to walk away, the bus had pulled up. He ran behind me as I stepped on. 

"Tess, listen, this never happens here. This girl could be hurt, or something," he sighed in frustration. I tried to get away from him, I even sat right behind the nosy bus driver. He sat beside me. "Why not?"

"Our parents have this covered, and frankly, I have other things going on," I didn't mean that, I just wanted him to piss off, really. I would love to help. But my dad would be hectic if I got involved. "Can I have your notes for the math test?" 

Ryan lightened up, but I could tell he wasn't happy with my decision. He would get over it eventually. He opened his bag and handed me his notebook. "Pages thirty-six through forty-nine, sorry about the messy handwriting." 

I shrugged and took what I could get out of it. I was gonna need it. I plugged in my ear buds and tuned him out as he rambled on about something having to do with route forty.