chapter one

The school was huge. I looked around at everything, and everyone, letting out a sigh. Why is a diploma necessary to get a decent job?

I groaned out loud, due to the thought, which earned me multiple stares from people nearby. I shrugged it off, grabbing the handle of my bright red suitcase. I yanked it towards me, semi-violently, and started walking. I looked at the crinkled piece of paper, trying to find my way around campus. A look of confusion took over my face, as I tried to find out where I was. I looked up, and looked around again. I then looked back down at the paper. Almost immediately, someone tapped my shoulder.

I whipped around to see who tapped me. In front of me stood a girl in a yellow crop top, with ripped whitewashed skinny jeans that were paired with some white vans.

"You look lost. Need help?" She asked, tilting her head.

"Is it that obvious?" I laugh nervously.

"I'm Peggy, nice to meet you." She holds out her hand, and I reluctantly took it.

"Reynolds. Maria Reynolds," I replied. "Nice to meet you too."

"What dorm room are you in?" She asked. I just handed her my paper in response. It had my dorm number and a map of the school on it. She glanced at it for a second, before finding my dorm number on it. She looked at it for a second before saying "I think you're in the same dorm as my sister."

"Oh, cool." I replied, not really knowing how to reply.

"Follow me." She said with a smile. I yanked my suitcase, yet again, and followed her. We didn't walk for long before we got to the dorms. I looked around. Why are all the buildings here huge? It's just gonna make it harder to get to my classes. We walked some more, until we got to my dorm. I looked at the number on the door. 152.

"I'm in dorm 156, if you need me." She said with a smile.

"Ok, Peggy Spaghetti."

I hear her stifle a laugh. I turn to see her hand over her face. She's smiling. I smiled, satisfied with the fact that I made someone almost laugh. I take the key from my back pocket, and put it in the key hole. I twist it, and push the door in.

"I'll see you later, right?" I ask her

"For sure." She says with a smile, and walks towards her dorm. I turn back to my door, opening it.

The inside of my dorm is revealed. Theres a bunk bed in the corner, with a ball of blankets on the bottom bunk. Looks like I get the top. I put my single suitcase by my roommate's, who isn't currently in the room. I hum to myself, examining my surroundings. I start to unpack my things, finding places to put them. I soon find myself singing.

"You're really good at singing!" a voice exclaims, surprising me. I turned to the source of the voice. I look at the ball of blankets, which now has a head sticking out. "Sorry, did I scare you?" She asks.

"Uh, yeah?" I said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh, sorry." she repeats. "I'm Eliza Schuyler, and I'm your roommate!" She pushes off the bundle of blankets, and makes her way over to me. She extends her hand.

"Maria Reynolds." I reply, shaking her hand. I let go, adjusting my dress. "I actually met your sister, Peggy? She helped me find the dorm."

"Oh, cool. She's not helping out today, though. She probably just thought you were cute." She shrugged.

I nodded, not really knowing what to say. Twice in one day, wow.

I resumed unpacking. I put my blankets and such on the top bunk. I check my phone, scrolling through my nonexistent messages with a sigh. I pocketed my phone, thinking, when a voice interrupts my thought process.

"Hey, me and a few friends are going to get some coffee, wanna come?" Eliza asks.

"Sure." I hop off the top bunk, grab my small backpack. It only has the essentials, like lip balm, money, and hygiene products. I slide it on my back and look at Eliza, who is opening the front door. She motions for me to go first.

"Thanks," I say. "For inviting me to coffee, and holding the door."

"No problem." She smiles. I had no clue where I was going, so I let her walk in front of me. I took out my phone and held it in my hands. It gave me a sense of satisfaction, safety, and comfort, for some reason. I followed Eliza, and soon enough, we were at a small coffee shop.

She held the door for me again, on our way in. I nodded to her as a thanks, and turned to see a group of people sitting at a rather large table. I assumed these were her friends, which was confirmed when she started walking over to them. I followed behind her, much like before. She took a seat, so I took one next to her. The conversation died down as people turned to Eliza.

"Hey guys." Eliza says. The group erupts with phrases like "Hey Eliza." and "Alright, alright!" I just sat there awkwardly, examining everyone. I noticed Peggy, and she was looking at me so I waved.

"And who's your friend, mon ami?" a man with a french accent and poofy hair asked.

"I'm Maria Reynolds." I smiled at the group.

"She's my roommate." Eliza adds.

"Nice red lipstick." A man with freckles and a ponytail says.

"Thanks." I smile at him. I look around.

Besides the people whom I've already spoken to, there is a shorter boy with a ponytail, a taller girl who looked like both Peggy and Eliza, who was in a blue shirt, and a muscly guy.

"Let's go around and introduce ourselves," The man with a french accent suggests. "My name is Lafayette."

"I'm Angelica. Peggy and Eliza are my sisters." The girl in the blue shirt gives a warm smile, and I smile back.

"Hamilton. Alexander Hamilton" The shorter man with a ponytail says. "Nice to meet you." he adds.

"Ditto." I reply.

"I'm Peggy, you know me." She waves. I nod in response.

"I'm Hercules Mulligan, I need no introduction." The muscle man speaks. I nod.

"Good to know." A smile takes over my face. This year is going to be a good year.

-----

A/N: Yay, my first chapter! I had a lot of fun writing it. If you haven't read my authors note, which is before the first chapter, please go read it. Thank you guys for reading, and let me know what you wanna see next.

Tell me, do you think Peggy has a crush on Maria?

1062 words