Chapter 3

*unedited*

Chapter 3

The ride to McDonald's was impressively long. Justin kept pretending that he was listening to Pauline's rants while he was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, in synch with the music. I didn't know how long we travelled, although Justin said it'd be for fifteen minutes, it seemed longer. 

"--and he even tried to kiss me! In public! Can you believe him?" Pauline was saying. 

"Mmm," said Justin. Judging by the look on his face, he wasn't listening. "That's immature. Anyway, I need to--Chrsitine!"

Never once in my life have I ever been more surprised. This is the second--or maybe the third? -- time he acknowledged my presence. Should I answer right away? Should I clear my throat? I feel the phlegm in my throat. Should I, like, bat my eyelashes at him so he'd notice me? Wait, no that's me pushing my limits; I'm giving him to Pau. But that doesn't change the fact that he's talking to me, let alone asking for my attention! He might as well, spend time with me and get to know me all over again and he'd like me and leave Pau--no that won't happen because I don't like him. Yes, that's right. Or is it? I can't believe this. This is not real.

"Christine?" His voice broke me from my reverie. I bumped my head on the window. Oh, God, this is humiliating.

"What?" I ask, a little too sharp.

"Uh, I was asking if you wanted to eat at Chipotle instead? And if you still want McDonald's?"

"Yeah,"

"Yeah. . .?" He sounded confused. Confused Justin is cute.

"We can go to Chipotle instead."

In a way, I'm grateful that he asked me what I wanted. I bet my bottom dollar that he did it to confirm with me if I wanted to recollect all the things we used to do involving McDonald's. 

The rest of the ride was spent in silence. I felt strange not being able to hear Pauline chattering away. I felt strange when Pauline didn't catch my gaze when I try to catch hers. She's upset with me and I know it. I knew I should've passed the question to Pauline. I am so stupid.

By the time we pulled up in the driveway of Chipotle, my hand was sweating like crazy. What is this, exactly? Pau and Justin's first date? It can't possibly be, with me third wheeling and all.

Justin parked near the entrance so it would be easier for us (or for him) to climb down and get it. He cut off the engine and said, to Pauline, "The door handle can be a little tricky. She's not old but she has her flaws. Here, let me get it for you." He moved across the gear and leaned over Pauline, his head levelled with her chest.

Pauline must have held her breath because she didn't answer to his latter statement. And I can say the same for myself. Whatever this is, this painful feeling in my chest, it's not supposed to be there. I should be glad he's making a move on her. (Or maybe he was just trying to be helpful?) I myself couldn't understand me. Justin isn't mine and he never was. I mean, I know I should've talked to him or something but instead I gave him the silence he gave me.

When the door opened, Pauline quickly jumped out, almost colliding with Justin. She was trying to catch her breath outside the car while Justin was looking away. I opened my own door and got out to calm her. 

"Hey now, hey now," I say to her while running my hand across her back.

"This is what dreams are made of, right?" She nervously laughed. "That was so amazing, Chris! Can you believe it?"

"I actually can't. But who knows, maybe this'll be a date." I smile at her, just to give her reassurance, For her, really,

"I sure hope it's not."