Chapter 8: Become Undone

She waited on the hill but she couldn't keep still. She was so excited, she was going to tell him! Just when she thought she could, at least, die knowing that she had told him, her hand started to bleed. The wound on her palm, caused by the blade of Niklaus the night they made their pact, had opened. She tried to stop the bleeding with a torn piece of her dress but it kept coming. Then a strong headache started, it felt like her brain was trying to get out. She let out a painful scream and heard voices: Come back. She ignored their meaning and, with her hands tightly pressed against the sides of her head, she noticed the presence of the blood of her right hand on her face, slowly trailing down. Come back to the village, Beyla, she heard again, much more clear this time. It was Helga calling her.

The pain was insufferable and she felt forced to agree. "Alright! Alright!" she screamed, not to anyone in particular, as, in truth, there was no one there to shout at.

The pain immediately subsided and she felt a wave of relief invading her body. How had Helga been able to do that? No magic could touch her because of the necklace, it protected her from any kind of magic. Unless- Had Helga used the linker spell?

No... She'd had to inflict the pain on herself, she thought. When Niklaus cut her palm he had also cut Helga's. Beyla saw it the next day but hadn't puzzle it out until now. They were still linked, the necklace hadn't been able to break that spell so whatever happened to one happened to the other.

Sick witch.

At first she thought about not going back, she wanted to speak to Henrik first, but then she remembered the pain and a shiver run through her spine so she went to the village.

She entered Helga's house and her heart started racing. She didn't like to go in there anymore, it made her feel uneasy. She heard Helga humming a quiet melody while drinking her usual tea, when she noticed Beyla in the room she grinned. "Do you want some tea, dear child?" she asked with venom on each word.

"No," she wouldn't ever trust her again, the last time she drank with her she got linked to her. What bothered her even more than the offer itself was that the grin grew wider with the refusal. She sat in front of the old woman and noticed that her hand was bandaged. "Was the pain really necessary?" Beyla asked dryly.

"I had to call you and somehow my summoning spells don't get through to you," she said inquisitive and Beyla looked away uncomfortable. "It's the necklace. Isn't it, child?" she asked. Beyla frowned and held tight her necklace, she was seriously doubting the elder's blindness. "Don't worry, child. I don't mean to take it away, I will let you play with it a little longer. That is not why I called you for," she paused for a second to take another sip of her drink. "Are you pure, child?" she asked.

Beyla's eyes grew wide with surprise. "Pardon me?" she asked.

"Are you pure?" someone asked again as the door behind Beyla opened. A young woman appeared, she was older than Beyla, maybe on her thirties, she had fair hair and a very bonnie face. She stood next to Helga and facing Beyla, analysing every detail of her persona. Beyla couldn't look more surprised if she tried, what on earth were they asking her?

"I believe we haven't been introduced," the woman said with a fake smile.

"I believe we have. You are Arya," Beyla said, "We've talked a couple of times."

Arya looked at her and smile again. "No idea, child. Now, answer the question."

Beyla couldn't help but look at her with hate. Arya was an elder, even though she didn't look like one. She had change vessels before Beyla was even born and she couldn't had chosen better, her new body has turned out to be beautiful. They had met a couple of times before, they had exchanged some words but their relationship didn't go any further, that was probably the reason why Arya didn't recognized her.