Chapter 5

“I’m going out now,” I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder, “if the house goes on fire, you know my number.”

“Do you have to leave?” Billie said, faking extreme sadness. It almost made me feel pity for him. Almost.

“Yes,” I said, in a tone a mother would say to a saddened child, “Lexi will bring you back some candy if your a good boy.”

“YAY!”

“Try not to kill yourself, alright?” I said.

“I won’t. Have fun. Without me,” he said, sighing sadly.

“I will,” I said, with a smirk. I paused at the door and then turned around. “Billie?”

“Yes?”

“Try... try not to bother Adie with any calls, alright? She’s really got a lot on her plate.”

He frowned instantly, and then he scowled, “oh, fuck, I bet she fucking has.”

I rolled my eyes, tutting loudly, and then I left. Really, there was no point in even trying to reason with him sometimes, and I wasn't about to try and throw myself under the bus over a business that wasn't even mine.

*******

“Hey, your personal shrink has arrived, you are welcome to be graced by my presence,” I said, as I sat next to Adie at the table. She laughed.

“Oh, I’m so lucky,” she said, with a warm smile. “So...”

“I know,” I sighed, rolling my eyes, “yes, I have been talking to Billie. He’s overjoyed that you’re considering the offer of letting him see the boys.”

“Hm... maybe I should let him see the boys...” she said. thoughtfully.

“Maybe?” I raised an eyebrow, “Adieeee...”

“I know, I know,” she sighed, defeatedly. Well, at least I seemed to be getting somewhere. That had to be a good thing, if anything.

“He manages Joey’s band, for Gods sake, he has to see them one way or another!” I added. Adie shrugged.

“I suppose you make a really good point there...”

“I know it can’t be easy,” I said, “I couldn’t imagine what it must feel like to fall out of love after so many years. I wouldn't want to, either."

“Horrible,” Adie said, “that’s one for starters.”

“Aw,” I said, sympathetically. I genuinely did feel bad for her. It will sound awful, l but I always have. Billie Joe Armstrong was a lot to handle. "How about I buy the first round of coffee’s?”

“You’re too sweet, honestly, I’ll do it.”

“No, you sit the fuck down, I’ll get them.”

So, after I got the coffee’s, it was time for the open hearted conversation I planned to have with Adie, “So, I was thinking, if you really don’t wanna see Billie, I could drive the boys over to him? You know... you have them one week, he can have them the other week. Or whatever. It's... you know... It's between you two.”

She was quiet for a moment before she sighed again, looking into her coffee in solitary thought. “I suppose,” Adrienne said, with a small shrug. She looked at me. “Has he told you why?”

“Why? What do you mean why?” I asked.

“Why we divorced?”

“No,” I said, “I told you.”