thirty-two.

SONG-THREAT OF JOY;THE STROKES

"Ah baby, whys it so hard to read the sentence between my eyes?"

-

"Where the fuck are you." I growled into Mercutio's phone. It was after the dance and my friends decided to stay with me while I figured out my ride situation, trembling in the dumb dress I knew was too summery rather than appropriate for fall. Mercutio still had Harry's number for whatever reason and I took advantage of it, cursing at my dead phone and everyone for not bringing their chargers.

"Mercutio finally located his balls." Harry laughed and I ground my teeth to refrain from lashing out on him. I could hear music in the background and I knew he was at the party he wanted to go to. Soon Harry came to a realization that it was not Mercutio on the other line after twenty seconds of me not responding. "This is Aida, isn't it."

"Where are you."

"The party." He answered simply and laughed at something his friend said.

"So you thought it was okay to leave me here? You're my ride." I lowered my tone as my friends had stopped their talking to listen and I was beginning to get embarrassed.

"Who are you on the phone with?" I heard someone bark at Harry, seeming to come across from the room he was in. The phone erupted with a sound of muffled speaking and then a bang, as if he dropped it. I could hear someone's fingers scraping against the case to pick it up. "Is this Harry's chick?"

I frowned and waited for my response. I wasn't sure what I'd say. "Uh.. yes?"

"Hello, I'm Zayn." I recognized the name around school and placed a face to it, tucking a stubborn piece of hair behind my ear. "You sound pissed."

"I am pissed, Zayn. Could you give the phone back to Harry please? I need to talk-" I could hear Harry's voice in the background and more shuffling, as if Zayn was running away from him. I grumbled silently with frustration beginning to bubble deep within. "Hello?"

"Just... fucking." Harry's friend I assumed choked out and the phone dropped again.

"Hello?" I called.

"What was said?" He breathed out and I stomped my foot, greeted by the raspy voice I wanted to hear but my stomach churned in disgust at his obnoxious and inexplicable actions. "You still need a ride? Why don't you catch one with your friends."

The muscles in my face all worked together, pulling to bring my eyebrows close in the middle, my cheeks pushing down the corners of my mouth to for an unforgiving frown and my eyelids closing to prevent any tears from cascading down the tense hills below. I was too worked up to get even more worked up but I knew I couldn't end the call, simply because he was my ride and I couldn't accept the fact that he just left. Alicia tapped my shoulder after I hadn't responded for a while, standing with my body hunched over in desperate need for warmth and my eyes closed, trying to locate reassurance in the dark. The other line was laced with his laughs and other people's laughs and it hurt me that he thought everything was okay.