11. Mystery solved?

The shrill ringing sound of Steve's phone filled his and Bucky's dark bedroom. Steve fumbled around in the dim light searching for his temperamental mobile. When he found it, he heaved himself out of bed and checked the screen. Tony was calling. By this time Bucky had woken up.

"Whats going on?" He questioned sleepily.
"Nothing, just go back to sleep Buck." Steve told him as he made his way out of their room. He wanted to talk to Tony in private.

He stepped out into the cool hallway. Soft orange light lit the long room. Steve slid his finger across the screen;

"Hello?" He asked irritated.

"Oh good you answered, wasn't sure if you'd be up."

"Do you have any idea what time it is!" Steve half yelled forgetting that most people where asleep.

There was a moment of silence.

"Half 4... I think." Tony replied slightly confused by Steve's tone.
Steve ignored Tony, he knew the man wasn't in the right frame of mind for logic to kick in.
"What do you need?" Steve demanded, wanting to get to the bottom of this late night phone call.

"You need to come over right now." Tony said his voice slightly jumpy.
Steve messaged his temple in frustration.
"Tony none of us know where you are, you disappeared. So how am I supposed to come over right now."

Tony laughed,
"I'm at my house. Did none of you think to look there."

"We assumed you needed time alone." Steve couldn't disguise his irritation. "You do realise that Natasha has been waiting up all night for you, why couldn't have you called earlier. You have no respect for other people."

There was another long silence.

"Steve, you still there?" Tony's voice came quivering through the receiver.
"Yes I am."
"Just come over this is really important... If you want bring Natasha too."
Steve sighed "I'm on my way."

***

Tony had seated himself in the living room of his mansion. He was flicking through pages and diagrams on his glowing tablet. His features tense with worry. The coffee table in front of him was laden with empty bottles of various alcoholic beverages.

"Boss?" FRIDAY's voice pipped up, "Your friends are at the door. Shall I let them in?"

Tony nodded, "Yea go ahead." He stood up and straightened his shirt, trying to make himself at least some what presentable.

Steve and Natasha entered the room looking tired. When they saw Tony both had an expression of slight anger. Tony attempted to make light of their mood.

He smiled and said, "I hope no one has skipped on their beauty sleep."

"Cut the crap Tony!" Natasha scolded, "Why is this so urgent that we had to come straight away?"
Tony nodded "I think I've worked out what has happened with Steve."

A/N- Hey if your enjoying the story let me know by leaving a vote or a comment. Would mean a lot to me.