chapter 4

~morning~

A butler's morning begins early. He finishes his job later than anyone else in the evening, and begins it earlier than anyone else in the morning. That is the duty of a butler who manages the entirity of the manor, Sebastian thought as stood peering into the mirror. Too bad he was a butler and a demon, then.

"My hair has gotten far too long hasn't it...aah, willing it shorter just won't do." He fixed his tie. "Nothing can be done about how troublesome humanity is..." and with that, like a shadow, he streaked across the manor to do his job, throwing on his tailcoat.

"well, then. Shall we be off?"

First is the assignment of the daily tasks to the servants, he thought as he walked towards the kitchen. He pulled on his gloves and entered the room, which was already occupying a happy Finny, a grinning Mei-Rin, and a half-asleep Bard, and a hunched over lump of what looked like a Lady Serene.

"Good morning everyone. It is nearly time to begin. Mey-Rin will service the linens, Finny will trim the trees in the garden, and Bard will take care of lunch preparations, please. And...may I be so bold to ask why exactly Lady Serene is here?" he asked taking note of the sleepy blonde's presence.

"I c-couldn't...sleep...at-at all...And now I feel all….tingly and numb...and numb and like I'm drunk...er...something..." The butler's left eyebrow twitched and a drop of sweat rolled down his face.

This had better not be like the last time...She was such a scandal. Sebastian thought twitching as the memory came to mind, Though it was amusing...

"At least you don't have to work, Lady" Bard said yawing.

"I didn't know producing charcoal was work...is this the 1900's...? And aren't you a master chef or something? Charcoal isn't that yummy..." She said drowsily as Bard squinted his eyes at her in question.

I don't make charcoal!...mostly. Hold up a second...Is she...is she like the last time!? Bard discreetly scooted his chair away from her, gulping, as the butler turned back to them.

"I do hope you get some rest later, Lady Serene. Now, If you all understand, please hurry to your appointed places! No slacking off!" He clapped his hands as they all ran to do their jobs, leaving the butler and the lady.

"oh...Can I help?" The lady turned to Sebastian. He froze, picturing what would happen if she did 'help' him.

"You are already helping me enough as you are" he said pleasantly. Well it was true...sort of.

It means I won't have one more nuisance to deal with...

She suddenly hopped on top of the table counter and leaned close to his face, closing one eye, staring at him suspiciously. He continued to smile hoping she wouldn't realize what hereally was thinking.

"oh...but that's boring...I'll just go help Mey-Rin..." Sebastian flinched, thinking of all the possibilities of the two clumsy girls together. An Image even worse than the one before popped up, leaving him cringing.

This clums-Lady Serene needs to stop poking in my responsibilities, when she's not needed, or I'll just have to teach her when she's not needed. The butler thought darkly, though his face suggested otherwise.

"Actually, can you go get a spoon for me?"

"REALLY?! YES!" she said in a mood swing, still not entirely awake, "Wait which spoon do I get...?" She ran over to the drawer containing the silverware.