( 05. the lost boys )

FOUR HOURS AGO, Wendy Darling had been a prim, proper girl at a Bonfire Night party

FOUR HOURS AGO, Wendy Darling had been a prim, proper girl at a Bonfire Night party. She'd never had a sip of alcohol before and she'd never kissed a boy— or girl, for that matter— in her life.

Four hours seemed like a lifetime.

Wendy pulled away from Peter, giddiness bubbling up in her chest. "I think they're gone now," she whispered, lips brushing the shell of his ear.

"We should wait a little longer, just to be sure." Peter murmured. He brought his lips to her jaw, her earlobe, then lingered on the soft skin of her neck.

"I think that's—" a quiet sound of pleasure escaped Wendy's lips. "—That's fine, let's do that." She gasped as one of Peter's cold hands slid up her bare thigh, the skirt hiked nearly all the way up. Suddenly, fear overcame Wendy's desire and she grabbed Peter's wrist, pushing him away.

"No?" the boy asked, eyes latching on to Wendy's.

"No," replied Wendy. "Not here. Not yet."

"Okay," Peter said, then pointed at Wendy's shoulder. "I think you gotta—"

Wendy glanced down, realizing that her skirt was still bunched up around her waist and the straps of her tank top around her shoulders. "Right," she said, letting out a nervous little giggle as she fixed up her clothes. When she was done, she cautiously followed Peter out of the alcove. Immediately, they were met by hoots and whistles, courtesy of Tiger and Stormy.

"Hey, Wendy," Tiger giggled, "you got a little something..." She gestured to Wendy's neck, who's eyes widened and she smacked Peter on the arm.

"My mum's gonna kill me," she hissed. Peter inspected the hickey, then shrugged.

"You can tell her you fell."

"On my neck?"

"D'you think we should go back to Neverland?" Tiger interrupted.

"I'd like to go," said Stormy, a cheeky smile on her face.

"No," replied Tiger. "You're not invited."

Stormy pouted.

"Stormy," Peter began, "Marina's looking for you. I think you should head back there." The Mermaid nodded, then waved her goodbye to Wendy and Peter. Tiger got two middle fingers.

The walk back to Neverland was quiet and pleasant. The night air was cool on Wendy's face, and fireworks exploded in the sky above them. It was November 5th, after all. Peter nonchalantly laced his fingers through Wendy's and they walked along the street together, hands swinging. Wendy didn't think about going home once.