( 01. bonfire night )

WENDY DARLING'S FIRST real party just so happened to be her last as well

WENDY DARLING'S FIRST real party just so happened to be her last as well. Of course, she didn't know this at the time. She was also quite unaware that the boy on the other side of the bonfire— the one who's facial features she couldn't make out through the dancing wisps of silvery smoke— would have everything to do with her untimely demise.

Wendy had been invited to Poppy Anderson's annual Bonfire Night party. When she received the crisp, folded invitation in her locker three days prior, she had gazed at it until the sharp ring of the school bell shook her out of her shock. She'd never been to a real party before. She went home that day, sure Bonfire Night would be the best night of her life.

Oh, how wrong our darling Wendy was.

Wendy was sitting on a log, quietly observing the raging scarlet flames (and the boy beyond) and sipping her apple cider, when a petite blonde plopped down on the log next to her. She wore her long, blonde hair in a high ponytail and a tight, emerald colored dress accentuated her curvy body. Everything about her seemed alluring, yet oddly innocent and pixie-like at the same time.

"Having fun?" asked the blonde, offering Wendy a half-smile.

Wendy, taken aback by the sudden interest of a girl she didn't even know, stammered an answer. "O-oh, yeah. Fun. It's a fun party." Her olive cheeks blossomed a scarlet as red as the flames, and she was glad for the darkness that surrounded the party.

The girl laughed, a tinkling sound that wasn't malicious whatsoever. She held her hand out to Wendy, who grasped it weakly.

"I'm Belle. Belle Tinker," said the blonde. Wendy nodded and unclasped her hand from Belle's.

"Wendy. Darling." Wendy inwardly cringed at her own gracelessness. Here she was, talking to a girl who could potentially be her friend, and she was already screwing up. However, Belle didn't seem to notice and happily continued making conversation.

"Nice to meet you. I've never seen you at one of Poppy's parties before, is this your first one?"

Wendy drained her bottle of apple cider before nodding, averting her gaze back into the bonfire. "Yeah," she said, twirling the bottle around. "I don't really get out much."

"Ah," replied Belle. She too began staring at the flames. "Well, Poppy's is a good place to start. Everybody's here, so there'd bound to be someone you know. Oh," Belle turned to Wendy and winked, "and the drinks aren't to bad either."

Wendy laughed, already loosening up to her new blonde acquaintance. Belle just had this sort of aura around her that made her easy to talk to.

"I agree," Wendy responded.

"Speaking of drinks, how about I get us another cider?" Belle nodded to Wendy's empty, discarded bottle which was now leaning against her tree stump. Wendy nodded gratefully, handing Belle the bottle. As Belle disappeared into the crowd around the drinks table, someone new promptly sat down where the blonde was just sitting.