Chapter 27

Tashby kept holding Ernest's hand throughout the whole climb. It was rough, just as she knew it would be. After all, he'd been living in the wild.

And when she stepped off the last stone, she looked around. She saw her shoes standing out among the grass somewhere in the distance, but she had no urge to go and get them.

"How long have you been here?" Ernest questioned, breaking the silence. That was what she had feared. Say the truth, she ordered herself.

"I just came."

"Oh, wow! Yesterday?"

"Yes. Didn't expect to be met with such a mess," She laughed sadly. She knew that she was lying, though: she did expect it. And that made her guilty.

"I still don't get how they found us," Ernest shrugged his shoulders, making Tashby's heart jump. She knew the truth, and if it wasn't all her fault, she would be glad to tell him.

"And why did they have to destroy Laora?" She tried to shift the focus.

"They'd do anything to make their little world perfect."

"Well, if they kept Laora, their world would be prettier."

Ernest shrugged his shoulders once again as they entered what was once the forest.

"To be honest, I don't get any of them either. There are enough of them in Linor, too. Thank God the government isn't like that. They're sane."

"I never thought our government would be insane. I always considered them normal."

"You never see how bad things are for others until things are bad for you," Ernest explained. Tashby looked into his eyes, enchanted by what he had said, and he just nodded casually.

"Smart," She complimented, kicking a rock. They had now caught up with the rest and simply stayed in the back of the group.

"Thanks!" He smiled at her. She smiled back, trying to look simple. But actually, everything felt rather too complex. She was becoming a fugitive, traveling with a group of attack survivors. And a while ago, she was living in Trimi with her mother, not disturbing anyone and not being disturbed.

He stepped over a dead tree trunk. It wasn't hard at all; the trunk was thin and dead, basically ashes.