Chapter 34

They moved on silently, both sensing each other, but not knowing what to say. The taste of sand was still in Tashby's mouth, and she struggled to get rid of it. It was irritating, and she took gulp after gulp, hoping that it would leave her each time. Speaking could be a distraction, but she was afraid.

"So you know my sister?" Cosmo started himself, causing her to shiver. That was what she had feared, but now she had to answer. After all, she'd always been taught that to defeat her fears, she had to face them. But now, she wasn't sure if it was true.

"Yes," she forced out of herself, as quietly as she could.

"How'd you meet?"

"She guided me to Laora," there was nothing to lie about now, she decided.

"Oh, cool! Do you know where she is?"

She swallowed everything. There was nothing wrong in being honest, she kept assuring herself. So she closed her eyes one last time and prepared to speak.

"You know, this will be hard for you... It was hard for me, too..."

"Is she dead?" He interrupted.

There was a pause, and their eyes met. Tashby nodded fearfully.

"I'm extremely sorry."

"It's okay," he sighed, walking a little forward. He obviously needed time to take that in.

Maybe it would have been better if it was Kelly who told him. But it was impossible to turn back time, so Tashby would take it. She caught up with him, and he didn't seem to mind. Her throat was dry, but she was too ashamed to take another gulp. And saving water was now more important than ever.

"Have you run out of water?" Cosmo asked. "Have mine."

"No, thanks, I'm not thirsty. I have some," she lifted her flask.

"Alright."

His wings rose, and for a moment Tashby was sure that he was going to fly away from her, leaving her all alone.

"Sorry," He said. "You don't know, do you?"

She shook her head. Perhaps this wasn't the best time for explaining, but she needed to understand.

"Alright," he sighed. "I have this thing that no one else has... I do have my wings, but I can't control them. They pop up by themselves when I'm nervous or angry. It's an instinct, I think. When I need them, they appear by themselves, without me asking for them."

It seemed impolite to ask why he was in the village in the first place.

"Most of the time, it's dangerous to fly," he continued. "Since when I calm down, the wings disappear and I fall. I only do it in the most extreme situations."