Chapter #3

(Picture is Alexander)

*~* CHAPTER #3 *~*

It was early the next morning when I was summoned to see Steven. Brooke and McKenzie were both sitting on the couch watching television and nobody else was around so I told them to stay where they were and I would be back in a few minutes. Of course I felt like an awful mother leaving my two babies alone but there was no way in hell I would bring them near Steven. Not on purpose.

I got to the door and knocked lightly, being told to come in almost right away. When I went in, Steven was sitting at his desk and was writing something down, a list. He saw me and waved me over, seeming almost like a normal office man. I walked a bit closer but made sure to maintain a short distance.

He looked up at me with a sickeningly sweet smile. "I have an errand for you to run. Think you can handle it without trying to take off again this time?" he asked. I nodded, excited at the chance to go outside after weeks and weeks of being trapped and locked inside the building with nearly no sunlight. He nodded. "Good, cover up that bruise and go to the grocery store for the items on this list." He ordered me.

I grabbed the list and made sure to thank him for his generosity and letting me out. "How will I get there?"

He glanced up at me. "I have a car waiting downstairs for you. Now hurry up." He rushed me. I nodded and turned toward the door. "And one more thing," He started his sentence. I turned around to listen. "Leave the kids here. I don't want you running off with them and my money." He finished.

This outing wasn't a gift to me, it was a curse. A test of my loyalty to my children. A way to control me some more. He knew I would come back but my thoughts would constantly be wondering about why he wanted them to stay. What did he have planned for them while I was gone and unable to protect them? Why did he want me to go in the first place?

Steven was playing another mind game. By now he had mastered the art of mind games and could completely screw around with your head. It was another way to control people. Another way to make people afraid, and I was. I was terrified he might harm my children. I was terrified he might harm my family. And then of course I was terrified he wouldn't do a single thing to anyone. Why? Because I know that if he spares someone even a moment of sorrow on my behalf, I will have to repay him later.

Instead of arguing, I simply nodded and left the room. I don't care what he does to me or makes me do. Whatever it is will be better than having a family member suffer instead.

I went back to my room and got ready, making sure to hide the bruise the best I could and then dropping the kids off with Maxx before going downstairs and getting into the car. It took me to a grocery store and I went in to buy the items on the list.

While I was in the store, I felt like someone was watching me. In all likelihood Steven had stuck the driver with watching me like a baby. I didn't mind though honestly. I'd expected him to do something like that anyway so it really wasn't much of a shock.

I went toward the section of the store with all the meats in it and began looking for the things Steven had on his list. As I was grabbing things, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, that same man from last night. He was standing across the store and began heading toward me. I grabbed everything else on the list and shoved it all in the cart. As he approached me and began to start speaking, I walked away, pretending I hadn't even noticed him there in the first place. It's not like I enjoy being a rude person but I know that the driver will tattle on me and Steven will punish me hard later. It's best to just stay away from anything that has the potential to cause me harm. I've gotten into enough trouble for the last few days.

The man grabbed my wrist and turned me toward him. "Hey, I know you saw me." He told me knowingly.

I turned and faced him, pulling out of his grip. "No I didn't." I responded, beginning to walk away again.

He grabbed my wrist again and turned me toward him. "I know you did. Why won't you talk to me?" He asked curiously. Did he not see what happened last night? Didn't he see the way Steven deals with me when hes pissed off? He was there, wasn't he?

I pulled away again but stayed in place. "Because Steven has eyes on me right now and I dont feel like getting-" I looked down. "Punished." I mumbled out in embarrassment.

He frowned at my remark. "Will you be working again tonight?" He asked, losing me in confusion. I looked up at him and gave him a look that told him I wanted to know the reason for his question before I answered it. He smiled. "Don't worry; I just want to come see you." He explained. I wasn't sure what to tell him and honestly I was a bit afraid to say yes or no. he chuckled. "I promise its only to see you. I don't want anything in return." He assured me.

I stared into his eyes, not sure if he was trustworthy. Though, its kind of pointless to lie to him because all he would have to do is ask Steven and he would know the answer. I nodded. "Yes, I work every night except Mondays and Thursdays. But I serve on those days." I told him.

He smiled. "Great! I'll see you tonight then."