Without Regrets

(Dayu's POV)

It was properly dark when we entered that field in HanZong. My Uncle Shu's resting place.

We didn't set up the tent as we are contented to rest on the grassy field. The children sleeps in the wagon.

My uncle's grave still has no name or tombstone on it. But Uncle Feng planted a tree beside it.

"To shade your uncle from the hot weather and from the rain," is what he gave as an excuse.

I rest against Captain Wang who thrown a blanket over our body. It's not chilly but the night air is a bit cold.

When morning came, Mei started praying to our Uncle's grave. He is also saying his final goodbye to him. Mei had his demons too although not as heavy as mine.

"Uncle, I kept my promise all these years, I never let Dayu be alone. Thank you for everything, Uncle. Let me pay my last respect to your grave. I will see you in my dreams again. As you keep on saving me and Dayu..."

Mei kneeled and bow down on our Uncle's grave. He sobbed as he bowed low on the ground where our Uncle is resting. Then Jiang came to collect him and console my cousin.

I had both Hua and Dao when I walked to my uncle's grave.

"Hua. Dao ah...here lies my Uncle Shu. He raised me and taught me everything I know about arts and weapons." I said to my children.

"He was strong too?" Dao asked.

I nodded, "The strongest. The bravest. He..." I look at my Captain who nodded at me. "He saved me and Uncle Mei...a lot of times," my voice broke.

Hua placed the wild flowers on Uncle Shu's grave while Dao left his wooden sword as a gift. My two children kneeled and bow down before Captain Wang collect them.

Governor Feng came to my side.

"Shu ah...our nephews will be free now. Our hope that they will live a happy and peaceful life will soon happen. Help Dayu and Mei be free from any hurt and worry."

Governor Feng put hand on my shoulder and squeeze it. I bow down my head. Then I smile at my uncle's grave.

"Uncle...I still use everything you taught me. I am passing it to my daughter. Wang Hua, you just met her. She is strong uncle...just like you. Wang Dao, my son, is the fast one. I think he will be even faster than me. And will give us more trouble and grief than I gave you. Uncle..." I tried but the tears still fell. "I still wish you were here. There are still days that I wish you can shout at me, get angry at me, praise me. Tell me that I am training my children the right way. Point to me if I am wrong." I put a hand on the grassy soil of his grave. Sinking my finger into the ground even if it hurts.

"Goodbye Uncle. Thank you...for...just. Just thank you..." I smile again through my tears. "I will stop visiting for a while Uncle. I want to say that I will not come again but...that will be a lie. I know...I know I will come here again. Because I will never stop needing you. But my grief for you will end here today. My guilt and my sadness will halt today. I will be free today. And it's all thanks to you..."

I bow low, almost kissing the ground. I want to kiss that ground but Captain Wang helped me to stand up and enveloped me in his arms.

The arms of the man who caused my uncle's death. Also the arms of the man who held me with so much love that he can heal me.