The 6th Month

(Qing's POV)

Dayu is being quiet. More quiet than usual.

I guess it's that time again.

We have been together, living in this house and raising our children, for three years now.

In that three years, a lot has changed.

Hua is now looking healthy and strong. Contrary to what he said, Dayu didn't teach Hua how to use the swords first. He taught her first how to breathe right.

I didn't know that there is a way of breathing right but it surely helped our daughter. Hua has weak lungs but after learning how to breathe right and swim with his Father, Dayu, Hua's weak lungs improved the most.

Dao is also dilligent in his training. Unlike me, Dao is not strong physically but his mind is as sharp as Dayu's blade. One lesson, one explanation, one demonstration is all he needs and Dao can copy any moves in perfection.

That is his gift.

Dayu and I, we live in love. Our mornings are spent teaching the children, eating breakfast with them and then I will go to work to the military base on the Palace. Dayu will stay with Hua and Dao while also managing our estate.

Then at night, we spend it together. Walking in the garden. Listening to Hua playing her flute or any string instruments she can find. Playing a guessing game with Dao while he tells us all the adventures he had while roaming the estate.

We are happy.

But every year, during the beginning of the 6th full moon, Dayu will start being quiet. Like he is retreating inside himself. Seeking solitude and speaking less and less with the people around us.

Even to me and to our children.

And I understand. Every year, during the 6th month, Dayu remembers his Uncle Shu. Around this time of the year was the same time his uncle died.

Because of me.

But Dayu is not blaming me anymore. True to his words, he has forgiven me fully. He is intent to live happily with me and our children.

But every year, it hurts to see him turn himself inside out in grief and mourning.

Then he will leave. Just for a couple of weeks. I don't know where he goes but if I will make a guess, I think he is visiting the graves of his parents and uncle.

Maybe also visiting his uncle in SiChuan, the Governor Feng.

We remained in contact with Mei and Jiang. Mei, like Dayu, still remembers their uncle but...

"Dayu has guilt," Mei said. "He will always carry it. The guilt of letting our uncle down by not seeking revenge. He thinks punishing himself and you for seven years is not enough, Captain."

That feels unfair because that seven years has been hard for the both of us. Being separated, living apart from each other...that was really hard.

But Dayu is a complicated man. And as I watch him standing beside the large window of our bedroom, my heart aches for him.

"My heart," I embraced him from behind. "What can I do? What can I say to ease your pain?" I kissed the back of his head. Inhaling his scent, the soap he used on his hair together with that sticky substance from the aloe plant.

Dayu just held on to my arm around his shoulder and collarbone. He continued to gaze on the night sky.

"Dayu..."