2. Inmate 228

CHAPTER TWO:

CHAPTER TWO:

* * * * *

I had been in prison now for two days, I was still in the orange outfit that they had given me when I first arrived and it sucked, I looked like a traffic cone which was not my idea of a cute look.

I had made a couple of friends I guess you could say, one was a girl called Morello who I got on quite well with considering we grew up not far from each other, her being in Brooklyn and me being in Queens. From meeting her I made a load of other friends from her prison family which in a way was nice, they paid me more attention than my biological one. I had become close to one particular junkie philosopher who had helped me a lot cause being a drug addict in prison wasn't exactly the definition of a walk in the park. They all told me that their ma would love me which was weird the thought of having a family in prison as I could have sworn that it was meant to every woman for themselves. They told me that their ma had been in a fight with another inmate who was hit by the van so she was in the hospital but as soon as she came out she would look after me. When this was said I was a mixture of emotions, I wasn't sure what to think. I had grown up without a mother, I had my dad and three older brothers for family and that was that, so it was a weird thought having a mother figure as mine had been anything but helpful. In many ways I am just like my mother, you both found yourself in prison and were now having to deal with the consequences which were great. I guess you could say like mother like daughter.

I had been given a job assignment in electrical which was definitely appreciated as I know got to spend time with Nicky without as many distractions which was good. I think the only good thing that had happened this year was meeting Nicky which is weird saying that I had a prison to thank for that. The guard Luschek really appealed to me, he didn't care at all which was something I liked about him, the way he treated us made me feel like I was back in the real world. It was nice to have something in prison that made me feel a bit more human seeing as everything I did in prison slowly meant me becoming less human and loosing more of my identity. That was the thing that I didn't realize would hit me so hard, becoming a number and no longer a person. It was an awful feeling and made me sick especially since my papers got mixed up. Turns out I was originally meant to be at a prison in Chicago which now I think about it I'm glad I'm not there but the downside is I am to be known as inmate 228 which was great I am no longer a person. So thank you prison system for being so corrupt.

* * * * *