Chapter 47: Lay in Peace

As soon as the moth miraculous shatters had fallen out of Adrien's clawed fist struck Michael in the face. Jade Turtle's miraculous beeped and he faded back to Nino. The shield dropped. The group watched in horror as the feline hero continuously beat upon the villain. Grunts and gasps escaped through the man's mouth as Chat Noir vented his anger out in such a forceful way.

Ladybug gasped as she saw Michael's eyes roll backwards. "Chat, stop! You've gone far enough."

Chat Noir ignored her and continued, now moving from the man's face and beginning to kick the unconscious man being held to the pillar by the powerful magnet. A green light flashed and Plagg spiraled out from the thrashing teen. "Kid, you got him. You need to stop," he said flying into Adrien's face.

Adrien gave one last kick before turning away from the unconscious man. His fists were shaking, and perspiration dripped from his head. Adrien looked down at his right hand. He flexed his fingers as his eyes traced the new cataclysmic scar that branched down his arm.

"Adrien?" A soft voice whispered.

All the anger melted out of Adrien, as he looked up. Green eyes met green eyes, as he saw his mother staring back him. She lay on the ground, head construed towards him with a soft, sweet smile. Gabriel was kneeling besides her; tears dripping down his face.

"Mom," Adrien whispered. He raced to the ground beside his mother. She reached out a hand towards her son, and he grabbed it, caressing her fingers against his face. "Mom!" Adrien embraced a moment of relief, before opening his eyes. What he saw, horrified him.

Rusty blood stained the woman's shirt, and spiraled into a deep wound in the center of her chest. The hole was dark and wet. Adrien's mouth gaped as his eyes were lost into the wound.

"Adrien, I am so proud of you," Mrs. Agreste spoke. Her voice was soft and weak.

"Mom... When? How?" The blonde couldn't find the words to finish his sentences.

A melancholic smile warmed her face. "When my brother found me in a small village in Tibet, all I could do was run. He was a wild animal. He chased after me, trapped me. In his psychotic outburst Michael stabbed me in the chest, and placed an akuma inside me. I closed my eyes, expecting the last thing I see was to be him with his wicked smile, but I am relieved to have the two men I love by my side in my last moments."

Gabriel, tears streaming down his face, grabbed ahold of his wife's other hand. "I love you so much, Adelle."

"I love you, Gabriel," she exhaled.

"I'm so sorry. I thought we had done enough. I should have never have let you leave." Gabriel's apologetic sobs choked the last two words.

"Shh. No Gabriel. Thank you. You gave me the ability to live happily. If I never had met, I would have surely been at a worse fate. But now I am here with, and Adrien."

"Mom, no. You can't leave. Not again!" Tears filled the blonde's eyes as his mind began to race. "There has to be something to fix this. Fix! Marinette! Use the Miraculous cure!"

Marinette clawed with her good hand at the powerful magnate that was holding a slumped over Michael against the wall. Jaded turtle rushed to her assistance. He too grabbed at the lucky charm and tried his best to pull it off.

Adelle lightly squeezed her son's hand. "Sweet heart, it's too late for this to be fixed." Her voice grew fainter and her hands hip began to loosen. Adrien gripped her hand with a desperate strength. Her breath was stagnating. "I've been alive past my time for way too long. I'm sorry to have caused you any pain. Just know I love you very much, and you were the best part of my life, Adri..." Her body fell limp.