C7: Scarlet String of Fate

*

"We're almost there," a soothing voice murmured as Li Meixing panted in exhaustion. The soles of her shoes were digging into her heel from wear and stray hairs plastered themselves onto her forehead from sweat.

"I'm at... my limit." Li Meixing staggered sideways, nearly tripping over a tree stump in the process, and curled her fingers around Huang Siming's hanfu for support. It had taken them an hour of twisting back and forth between large, crowded streets before their respective guards lost trace of them. Now they were by themselves on the vast mountain overlooking the capital, and for once, everything was quiet—Li Meixing didn't have to worry about the scrutinizing eyes of Prime Minister Li, her fading friendship with Song Anying, or the responsibilities of having the surname Li.

"Here it is." There was a trace of a smile in the tone of his voice, and Li Meixing curiously raised her head. She gasped in awe.

The seemingly never-ending bunches of trees and bushes made way to reveal a stunning view of the sunset. Strokes of crimson and marigold covered the sky in a breathtaking painting of beauty and hope. A flock of birds soared high above in the distance and gracefully danced before the image of the golden setting sun. Parted clouds of cotton were colored in gradients of hazy lavender and satin peach, and the last rays of sunlight shone upon Li Meixing and Huang Siming, casting a gentle halo onto their small figures.

They had reached the top of the mountain, and from there, they could see the entirety of the capital city and the crowds of people bustling about the streets. It was the Lantern Festival, a precious day in which the entire nation came together to mingle and laugh with others while illuminated by the gentle lanterns at each other's hands. Lively festival games were held at local street vendors with the prize of winning beautiful lotus lanterns or candied desserts, and the civilians cheered as parades of young men dressed as crimson red dragons performed to festive music performed by local musicians.

"It's beautiful," Li Meixing breathed. "I've never seen anything like this before." The setting sun coupled with the vibrant city painted a scenery of pure happiness. She watched as youthful couples walked and laughed with each other, sharing food and intertwining their arms together in a firm promise of passion. Their smiles glowed brighter than the lanterns they held at their chests and enveloped the city in warmth.

Li Meixing felt a gentle tap on her shoulder and turned to face Huang Siming. Her cheeks were flushed a feminine pink that was reflected in the breath of color in the sunset, and her eyes were glazed with a sort of bliss that caught the setting rays of sunlight and made them her own.

"For you," Huang Siming spoke softly. He reached into his hanfu and revealed a beautiful wooden box engraved with her name.

Li Meixing's lips parted and she hesitantly grasped the box into her hands. She looked up at Huang Siming to affirm that it was truly a gift to her before slowly removing the lid. A beautiful, pearl-white hairpin lay cradled by the box's burgundy velvet. It was adorned by a bouquet of pink cherry blossoms engraved on its body and waterfalls of delicate crystal strands cascading off of the tip. "I—" Li Meixing looked up at Huang Siming, her words caught in her throat from gratitude and utter happiness. "Thank you." Tears fell from her eyes and she wrapped her arms around his chest in an embrace.

Huang Siming took the hairpin from the box and slipped it into her hair. He stepped back to look at her again and grinned. "It fits you well." Li Meixing shyly lowered her head and reached up to touch the hairpin. The dangling crystals slid past her fingers and swayed back and forth. She looked up and found that Huang Siming's vision was focused on something beyond her in the distance.