C14: Hidden Arrows

Fall marks the annual Civil Service Exam. For young men across the country, no matter their social status or outward appearance, the exam is their opportunity to make their names known to the public and bring pride to their family's name. If they do well, they could be offered a position in the local council, and if they do really well, they might catch the attention of some high-ranking official and be allowed to study under them. For most, scoring high enough to enter the imperial court is just a faraway dream.

Typically around half of the young men would choose to join the military and the other half become a civil official, but because of Qi Kingdom's weakening military and the emperor's disinterest in war, most people now are choosing to take the civil route. As a result, the Civil Service Exam has become increasingly competitive over the past couple of years.

Just over two decades ago, the scholar that took the coveted number one position in the Civil Service Exam was a man named Li Xun. The son of a tier-two official and consistent high-scorer in Hanling Academy, a popular academy for the young masters of wealthy families, Li Xun's position as the number one scholar didn't surprise many people. Li Xun was offered a position in court and quickly grew up the ranks due to his natural intelligence and friendship with the current emperor, who was heavily doted upon by the late Empress Dowager. Li Xun soon became the Minister of Rites and was tasked with organizing the imperial examinations every year, among other responsibilities.

****

A handsome youth with long, silky black hair, gentle eyebrows that curve ever-so-slightly, and a calm expression on his face is reading a stack of manuscripts in his courtyard. Every once in a while, he gracefully lifts a hand to take a sip of tea and turns a page to continue reading.

The attendant by his side refills his tea and politely bows toward him. "Young Master should take a break from studying. Reading manuscripts all day will be a hazard to Young Master's health and make the young mistress worried. "

Li Huoxin doesn't lift his head up. "Long Bo, stop quibbling."

"This lowly one doubts that there's anyone in the kingdom that has studied more than Young Master," Long Bo persists, "and given that the master took first place twenty-two years ago, it's destined for Young Master to do the same. Young Master need not worry."

Li Huoxin reluctantly sets the texts in his hand onto the table and heaves a great sigh. "It's because Father took first place that I need to study this much. Can you imagine what people would say if I didn't score the highest? My scholarly image would be ruined! And this year since I'm taking the test, the emperor gave the responsibility of organizing the exam to Prime Minister Guo instead of Father, so Father has the free time to nag me about the test."

"Prime Minister Guo? Can he be trusted to organize the exam?"

Scoffing in response, Li Huoxin replies, "He's the Minister of Justice, and probably the most annoying Minister of Justice yet because of how ridiculously impartial he is. The furens of all sorts of various families came to Prime Minister Guo's fu to randomly bestow gifts and the men that are normally preoccupied with climbing up the officials' ranks suddenly found the time to try and chip away at Prime Minister Guo's indifferent attitude, yet the man still hasn't said an additional word to anyone." Li Huoxin seems to have gotten bored of the topic while talking about it and suddenly gestures toward the pile of texts before him. "Where are the others on this subject? Did Xingxing take them as well?"

Long Bo answers in affirmation.

"Hm." Li Huoxin gazes thoughtfully at the teacup in his hand and lets his mind wander toward his younger sister's strange habits of late. Over the past couple of weeks, she's frequently been requesting for his books, asking him questions about the state of court affairs, and even sneaking out during the afternoon with ink taken from his own courtyard. It's not that he's upset about the stolen ink but more that it seems like she's been hiding something from him. Upon thinking deeper, Li Huoxin realizes that it seems like she changed after he came back from Huisu City. When he saw her on the day of his return, her cheerful expression seemed like it could crumble into tears at any moment, and her shoulders were quivering in his embrace. Thinking along these lines, Li Huoxin's expression darkens. Did something happen to her while he was gone?