C15: Swaying Red Lanterns

*

After having spoken with her brother, Li Meixing feels that her mood has been considerably lifted. The past couple of days, her attention has been entirely focused on studying history, and even her customers have noticed something off since her poems have become more and more gruesome. Stanzas about 'fleeting winds brushing past a sun's golden rays' are replaced by 'silver scales of steel gleaming in the dusk of men,' and a noticeable part of her cheerful tone has been drawn away in favor of cordial professionalism.

Bai Wei greets Li Meixing outside of Li Huoxin's courtyard. "Young Mistress, Hua Yin [one of Li Meixing's three closest maids] stopped by to say that the Madam sent a messenger asking for Young Mistress to meet her in her courtyard."

Li Meixing is slightly taken back before realizing what the subject must be about. "Alright, I'll meet her now."

****

"Greetings to Young Mistress," a lady with greying hair tied into a sleek bun and a firm set of narrowly shaped eyes curtsies at the entrance of Ying Nurong's courtyard.

"Greetings to Cai Momo," Li Meixing curtsies back respectfully before letting the high-ranked maid lead her into Ying Nurong's room.

The room is a large, open space framed by exquisitely hand-painted folding screens and decorated by various delicate jade vases. There's a calm sort of ambiance that settles in immediately upon entering, and the faint fragrance of pine combined with a gentle kiss of autumn's osmanthus gives the room a simple and elegant impression.

At the center of the room is a woman of extraordinary bearing. Her chin is perfectly leveled to reveal smooth, fair skin, her hair is gracefully woven into a sophisticated updo embellished by tastefully arranged silver hairpins, and her expression is that of a calm pool of water—gentle like the passing wind and yet impossible to read through.

"Mother."

"The empress's birthday is coming soon, and the imperial palace will be hosting a banquet to celebrate this joyous occasion." Ying Nurong's voice is clear and melodious, and each word is said with careful deliverance. "I have picked a dress for you to wear and will send it to your courtyard along with a chest of jewelry that you can select from. The gifts for the empress have been prepared as well. Prepare yourself well for this event. I have asked Cai Momo to spend more time with you for lessons on etiquette and have hired professionals that will critique your ability with the four arts. That is all."

Short and to the point. "Thanking Mother for Mother's concern." Even in the past, she was unsure of what her relationship with her mother is like and how far her mother's regard for her extends to. She knows that her mother is a calm and virtuous noble lady that places heavy importance on appearances, but because her mother passed away several years ago in an accident in the previous timeline, many of her memories of Ying Nurong are hazy.

Li Meixing hesitates a bit and, in almost a childlike manner, hides her hands behind her back as she shyly bends forward. "Mother, actually, this daughter prepared a small gift for you." Bai Wei, perfectly on cue, presents a beautifully engraved box to Ying Nurong. After her previous life ended in tragedy, Li Meixing realized that relationships are fragile and should be carefully handled. She hopes that she can develop a close relationship with her birth mother and prevent the fated accident from happening. Maybe then she'll feel that her having been given this second chance at life has not been wasted.

Ying Nurong accepts the box and slowly opens it. The nearby maids gasp in amazement and express their wonder. Inside the box lies a deep green jade necklace held together by thin strands of silver that glints underneath the afternoon sun coming through the window. Li Meixing had used some of the money obtained from Moonlit Letters to buy the necklace from one of the most famous jewelry stores in the capital. Li Meixing anxiously watches Ying Nurong, trying to identify some positive change in expression.