Chapter 5 - Welcome Aboard

Silence filled the lower corridors of the Artemis base. Trei's footsteps were the only sound reverberating through the grey, empty halls.

Granite block, metal floors and dark rooms.

The power went out over an hour ago, the only light illuminating Trei's path came from Yin and Yang's ammunition chambers, bathing his surroundings in an eerie golden glow.

Out of the corner of his eye, Trei could see figures creeping in the shifting gloom.

A trick of my mind, nothing more. He nervously told himself.

Trei turned a corner, at the end of the hall lay a metal door, a red sign glowed above it.

EXIT; LANDING PLATFORMS.

Finally.

A heavy crash sounded in the hallways behind him. He couldn't be sure from where the sound originated. It echoed off of corridors, going from one into the others.

Haunting.

Trei reached the door. He pressed on the control panel next to it. Nothing happened.

He sighed, he placed the barrel of Yang on the panel and pulled the trigger.

Sparks flew as the panel was fried and the doors opened. Something grunted behind him; a gruff primal sound.

In the darkness, a glowing red shade stood. In each hands, metal glistened menacingly at him, in the dim light he could make out crimson liquid dropping slowly down from the twin blades.

He raised his pistols with a manic gaze, training them at the beast's silhouette. The power came on, only for a second. A chipped horn and a snarling face glared at him, those haunting crimson irises flecked with amber burned themselves into his mind.

Without a thought, the creature charged from the darkness, roaring thunder. Fear gripped Trei's legs. He couldn't move.

The Ariesian leapt, momentarily moving on all-fours, struggling to close the ground between the hunter and his prey.

Trei's legs felt like jelly, he broke his daze and leapt through the door.

He landed hard on his side on the metal walkway. The howling wind whipped at his hair. The chill rattled him to his bones. Up above, the battle slowed its fury, the Telluris looked to have the upper hand. The fallen ships streaked through the black abyss above, painting orange paths as they burnt up in the atmosphere. 

He got up, the height made his head spin. He glanced at the other side of the catwalk, an even taller tower stood, at the top, a large platform. What was on the platform was a mystery; it blended in with the dark night sky so it was hard for Trei to discern what sort ship was perched upon it.

Trei turned his attention to the lurching behemoth. The creature hesitantly moved up on to the fragile metal bridge, it creaked hazardously, straining to support the red assailant's weight. The night was filled with a symphony of roars, creaks and the deafening wind.

Trei struggled as he got up, cautiously he stumbled his way to the other side, the world below seemed to spin. It was hard to stay on his feet. One glance below was enough to reduce him to a crawl, clutching at the thin metal handrails.