Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I descended the staircase leading to the ballroom, which was shining and gold. I guessed Enjolras, Israel, and the others had been at work. I saw Isaiah in a corner, discussing something with Israel. Enjolras saw me, grinned, and tapped Isaiah. He turned around to see me, and stared. I blushed. Israel was smiling. (I think. It’s hard to tell when an owl is smiling.) Isaiah must’ve realized that he was gawking, and turned away sheepishly. I walked to him, and nodded at Enjolras. He hurried out of the room, and soon, music was playing. I held my hand out to Isaiah, saying, “Dance with me.” He slowly took it, his claws gently brushing my skin. I led him to the middle of the room, and asked, “Do you know how to waltz?” “It’s my specialty,” he replied, grinning. He whisked me around the room, laughing and joking. He spun me around one last time, and the song ended. Our laughter died down eventually. Before I knew what I was doing, I had wrapped my arms around him. He hesitated for a while before hugging me in return. BANG!! BANG!! BANG!! "Israel," Isaiah called, "who's there?" "A boy from the town," Israel answered, "Skinny as a reed and short blond hair." My eyes widened. Lionel?