Chapter Nine: Out

"And now... we're letting you out!" Dr. Anderson finished.

Brook was so overcome with happiness that she couldn't help hooting out a yell of joy. She'd been stuck in the hospital for ages, and now finally she could come out! 

Nurse Bentley cast a saddened look at the patient. "You don't like it here? Oh darling, you could've just told us!"

Nurse Abrams sniffed.

"Now, ladies, she's just homesick. Isn't that right, Brooklyn?" asked the doctor.

"Er, yes. That is right. I missed my home and my parents and friends awfully," Brook confirmed.

"But they came to see you every day!" blurted Nurse Bentley.

"Er... but... I miss... Harry!" Brook had no idea who Harry was, but the name came out before she could think.

Dr. Anderson raised an eyebrow. "Boy at your school?"

Brook blushed furiously and stammered, "Er... yes, he's very nice. I think he likes me."

Of course, there was no Harry, but still... how embarrassing..!

"Well, anyways, then, off you go. Your mother's downstairs waiting. Try not to get hurt again, will you?" said Nurse Abrams.

Translation: Please don't come back.

 "See you never!" yelled Orbit. Or Gilbert. Or whatever.

Dr. Anderson glared at Orbit/Gilbert/whatever. Before she walked out, Brook heard Nurse Bentley: "Phew!" and Nurse Abrams sigh in relief.

"Hmmph. I wasn't that bad..." thought Brook as she and Mom walked out the door.

"Well, young lady, you've got a lot of catch-up on schoolwork to do," announced Mrs. Willow.

Brook winced.

~~~~~~

"We're home! Me and Brook are here!" yelled Marilyn as soon as she unlocked the door and pushed it open. 

"Mom, there's no one he-" Brook was cut off as a yell contradicted her statement.

"SURPRIIISE!!!" 

Brook stared.

Mia, Olivia, Elsie, and a bunch of Brook's other friends jumped out from behind the sofas, the armchairs, and under the coffee table. 

Brook stared. 

"You're out of the hospital!" yelled Sophia.

"You're free!" Mia whooped.

"It was only a week." 

Mia pretended to scowl. "So you're not happy to see us?"

Brook grinned, "Shut up. You sound like Nurse Bentley. And, duh I'm happy to be home... and having a PAAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAY!!!"

The other girls joined in the celebration, whooping, screaming, and generally having a great time.

~~~~~~
It was late in the night. The party was long over and Brook lay in her bed.

Brook reflected, "Maybe everything is okay. Maybe I am pretty normal..."

But a memory told her otherwise.

~~~~~~

She was here again. The dark place, with Evelyn hiding somewhere. Yes— there Evelyn was, walking toward Brook with a slight frown on her face.