Nineteen.

December 25th 2013.
11:18am.

"What if the fire burns my hand?" Kelsia sat cross-legged in front of the fireplace. She pointed a little finger at the small bucket hanging over the fire. It was not to close and not too far from the low fire. 

Kate rolled her eyes. "That's why it's called snap dragon. You have to take the candy quickly before the fire does. And if it burns your hand, your daddy is a doctor."

"I hate injections,so no. I won't burn my hand." Kelsia wriggled her nose playfully,making Kate laugh. "Today is Christmas, daddy should be at home and not at work."

"You're right. But,the hospital said it was an emergency." Kate reached out a hand to caress Kelsia's hair. "Your daddy is a good man, he saves a lot of lives. He's also caring too."

Kelsia nodded. Then grinned. "You like my daddy,don't you?"

Startled by the sudden change of topic,Kate could only stare at the little girl in surprise.

"I knew it!" Kelsia pumped a fist in the air. "So, are you gonna be my new mommy?"

Kate's mouth dropped open. The thought of her being Fredo's wife and Kelsia's mother made her face heat up. Instead of answering, she reached out a hand and snatched a sweet from the bowl.

"I've got one," she popped it into her mouth. "You're next."

Kelsia pouted at her unanswered question but let it go. She also snatched a sweet from the bowl and laughed in delight. The game continued until the door bell rang.

Kate and Kelsia exchanged a surprised glance,because they were only expecting Fredo and there was no way he would use the door bell when he had his own key.

"What if that's the bogey man?" Kelsia whispered fearfully.

Kate's heart sped up,because she was thinking about another bogey man entirely. Did they know that she was still alive? What if they came to finish their job?

The sound of the bell again had her shooting up on her feet. Grabbing Kelsia's hand in her own, Kate slowly made her way to the door. Once at the door,she signalled Kelsia to keep quiet. Kate crouched so that she and Kelsia's eyes was leveled.

"Once I say run," she whispered. "You run,okay?"

"Why? Are they bad people?"

Kate bit her lower lip. "I'm not sure yet, but promise me that you'd do as I say."

"Pinky promise."

Giving Kelsia's hand one last gentle squeeze, Kate got up to her feet, unlocked the door and grabbed the knob.

Taking a deep breath, she turned it and pulled the door open.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

04:56pm.

Fredo found himself watching the clock all afternoon. For the first time in a long time, he couldn't loose himself in work.

His mind kept wandering to Kate. He was about to cook breakfast for the three of them when the hospital called. So he promised to cook dinner instead; he had this funny urge to impress Kate with his cooking. It had been very long since he'd been looking forward to a woman's company this much.