Chapter 3: Unwelcome Visitor

I knock on Margaret's door one Saturday. Mr. Charles swings it open. "She's not here. She's with my wife they went to run errands and go to the hair salon." He says sternly. Then he smiles a little,"I suppose that's universal- women fussing over their hair"

"I guess," I say, realizing this is probably a sad attempt to have a conversation.

"Wonder if that wife of mine has any idea how much having her hair made a bit lighter is setting me back?"

"She ought to. She's the one getting her hair done"

"Any nice girls in your neighborhood?"

"Of course. But I really like Margaret. She's not like other girls"

Mr. Charles sighs,"Margaret and her mom will be back soon, you can wait in the den."

"Thank you." The family dog, Judge follows me. I turn on the television.

Mr Charles comes in with the newspaper. He starts going on about some court cases that are in the news, while using a lot of legal terms. That's not something I understand, so I look at him blankly. "You cannot be serious! You're not comprehending a damn thing I'm saying! How can anyone be so stupid? My son, Arthur understood that when he was fourteen!" He lectures

"He was raised by a lawyer! So that's make sense to him!" I protest.

"Don't talk back to me, Boy! You're making excuses for being ignorant! At least all you are is Margaret's rebellious phase- nothing more. Just some misbehavior before she marries someone like the friends Arthur brings home from law school."

I'm so hurt and mad I can't speak, I just leave. As I leave, I see Margaret and Mrs. Charles have just come home but I don't want to be here any longer.

"What happened?" asks Mrs. Charles.

"Tweedledum got upset. That boy can't handle a conversation. " Mr.Charles replies with a sigh.

"Prince! Please come back!" yells Margaret.

"Margaret, remember the neighbors talk about you."

What the hell does that mean? I notice the neighbors. One woman is scowling at me. A man just shakes his head.

At home I sit in the basement playing my guitar. Suddenly Margaret is next to me, kissing my cheek. "I'm sorry about Daddy. I know he said something he shouldn't have. " She says.

"Be honest-really honest. Do you actually date me to irritate your dad? " I ask, the words having a hard time coming out of my mouth.

"No way! I date you because I love you and I won't listen to you talk like that anymore!" She covers her ears and I laugh a little.

I take her hands from her ears and kiss her. She snuggles up against me and asks"What did Daddy say to you?"

"He made fun of me for not knowing about some legal things." I reply.

"Yeah. He does that to people. That's why I make sure to pay attention when he starts yapping about law. It's his favorite thing ever. He thinks law should be taught in all schools so kids know their basic legal rights. "

"And he said I'm your rebellious phase until you marry someone like Arthur's friends."

"Daddy basically wants me to go to college to find a suitable husband" Margaret sighs, "I can't even imagine being married."

"What will you study?"

"Writing. What will you do after school?"

"I think I'll go to New York City and try to start my music career."

"I'd love to go to New York! There's so much for writers do there. Maybe we could go out there together! I could get some kind of job at a magazine or publishing company and write my own stuff after work." The thought alone makes her so excited.

"Your dad would love that. You going to New York with me. " I laugh.

"I'll be eighteen when I graduate, legally I'll be an adult and he can't stop me from leaving."

She hangs around for awhile "I'll call before coming over next time" I assure her. We kiss goodbye.

Once Margaret is gone, Andre says to me,"I think you've bit off more than you can chew. She's a nice girl but is she really worth all you have to go through?"

"Already counting down the days until she's no longer under Daddy's roof." I reply

He laughs,"That's a year away"

"Oh well"

That night I lay in bed thinking of the future Margaret and I might have.