Chapter 7: Lake House-Day One

I've stopped by the diner to see Margaret towards the end of her shift. "Just the fella I want to see,"says Pete, "Every year our family spends the last three days of spring break up at a lake house I rent. Would you like to come?"

I think about this for a moment. It does sound like fun. "Yes, thank you." I reply.

"Great!" exclaims Margaret,"You'll get to meet my brother!"

I've seen Arthur's picture in the Charles' home of course. He's on the track team at college. Tall and fit, he's the shot put superstar. He's got the sort of looks girls like. I'm nervous- sometimes brothers can be at least as critical as fathers.What if Arthur has the same views as Mr. Charles?

Margaret and her family come to pick me up. Mrs. Anderson says to me,"I don't want to you to cause any trouble. Personally I don't think this is a good idea"

"I do."says Andre,"Maybe Mr. Charles will get to know Prince better."

We say our goodbyes.

I get out to Mr. Charles' Cadillac Eldorado (which Margaret and her mom aren't permitted to drive-they have their own car that they share). Mrs. Charles is in the backseat with Margaret and the passenger seat is empty. I guess I'm supposed to sit next Mr. Charles because he thinks I'm going to be indecent with his daughter? In spite of this I smile at him and say,"It's nice to see you"

He grumbles something and turns on the radio to a news station. A legal case ends up being discussed. Margaret puts in her opinions about it. She sounds as though she knows what she's talking about.Mr. Charles brags about Arthur and how well he's doing in college and is going to be attending law school. "Ever encourage Margaret to go to law school?" I ask.

He laughs a bit,"No, female lawyers are still a bit of a novelty. She wouldn't be taken seriously. Anyway, law school is a serious commitment. When would she have time for her husband and family?"

"I'm still in high school and you've got me married and having children." Margaret sighs.

"Life works that way, Dear. Girls marry their college sweethearts after graduation and have a family"

Hmm...I notice he didn't say "marry their high school sweethearts"

"What do you do on these trips?" I ask.