Chapter 33: Dream Duet

Backstage at the Miss Chamber of Commerce pageant, the other girls are clearly worrying about the event. Not Margaret. She doesn't have a vested interest in this because she doesn't believe in pageants. I know she can't wait to get the bathing suit competition over with but her plan is to suck it up and get through it. It's not that she doesn't feel good about herself, she just is not comfortable showing that much skin on a stage.

As part of Margaret's talent, I'm allowed to be back here. There's a separate area where the girls change clothes. One girl actually asks what I'm doing. Hhmm... I have a guitar case beside me. Isn't that a hint? But I tell her I'm my girlfriend's guitarist today.

The announcer is a lady named Tammy. Margaret is speaking to Tammy and Tammy writes something down on a notecard.

A hush goes over the girls when Sabrina Smith shows up. Sabrina-the pageant pro, the one to beat. Margaret is poised and classy but in an approachable, down to Earth way. This gal seems haughty and like she's putting up a front.

Dad came, I saw his car in the parking lot. Mrs. Anderson, Andre and some of his siblings are here.

The swimsuit competition comes. In terms of looks Margaret should win this, but you can kind of tell that she's not at ease, not being used to pageants. She waits with the others to go onstage. I squeeze her hand, remind her to stand straight and smile then I kiss her cheek. We get some looks from the girls, most of them loving our affectionate moment.. Doing my best to get through this while looking pretty, Margaret's walk conveys. While Sabrina's screams EVEN IN MY SLEEP I COULD MODEL SWIMWEAR! She could too, she's stunning.

Talent is next. Plenty of the girls sing. A stand out is Sabrina's operatic aria which causes Margaret to whisper to me ,"Let's leave now."

"Maybe the judges will prefer a more contemporary act, "I reply.

"Next, Margaret Charles will be preforming an original song by Prince Nelson while being accompanied by him" the Tammy says.

"I didn't know I was going to be mentioned. " I say to Margaret.

"I told her because you deserve credit. You're amazing" she replies.

It takes a moment for Margaret to get comfortable but she's soon singing my lyrics while coyishly glancing at me while I play my guitar-just like rehearsed. I'm so happy! One of the best moments on a stage for me! The applause doesn't seem to stop! In fact, I think there was more cheering for us than there was for Sabrina. There are two guitar solos Margaret insisted on me having "at the very least one solo". When I play them , the audience loses their minds.

For interview, Sabrina gets asked what she wants to do after graduation. She talks about wanting to get into real estate to "help families choose the homes they'll make their memories in." An ordinary response. Margaret is asked, "What is something about you that would surprise others?"

"I know how to change car tires..." she replies with a smile to a cheering audience. Then she continues"...and I can check the car's fluids too" The crowd likes her.

Mr. Charles shakes his head. That answer didn't sit well with him. It was a great answer. She showed she is more than a pretty face. What did he want her to talk about? How good she cooks or something?

While waiting for the winners to be announced, the girls all seem to be concerned about every mistake they think they made. Well, all of the girls except Sabrina and Margaret. Sabrina seems to think she's got this in the bag. Margaret couldn't care less. Now it's time for crowning. Margaret is second runner up! I know if she was more passionate about this, she'd have done better. Genuinely pleased for her, I take a picture of her being crowned. Sabrina, is announced Miss Chamber of Commerce and a large crown is placed on her head. The winners all received cash prizes, Margaret tries to split hers with me. "Honey, you did all the hard stuff, I just had a great time." I say. 

The Charles give Margaret hugs and kisses. Mr. Charles exclaims "You'll do even better at your next pageant!"

Margaret gives me a "Help me" look. Suddenly, she looks at Mr. Charles and says firmly, "Daddy, I want to focus on school. Pageants are fine, I guess but they aren't for me. " 

He looks shocked. "We'll talk about this at home" he insists. 

Dad gives Margaret a bouquet of flowers and tells her he knew she'd place. Dutifully, a couple other contestants congratulate Sabrina. Margaret compliments her too, but Margaret's kind words are genuine. Yes, Margaret is definitely the most beautiful girl here.

Shauna walks up to me and tells me I was the best. "Princey, guess what? I'm going to make it to the church bake sale tomorrow! Are you going to be there?" she asks.

Bernadette is bringing family to it and I was looking forward to going and eating tasty baked goods. "I don't know" I reply.