I Can Prove It

What if the Marshal hadn't died?

     Kate kneels next to the Marshal's head, remembering his attack makes her moves away. "E-Edward, are you awake?" She asks. He opens his eyes, looking around the makeshift tent. His mouth opens, trying to get words out.
     "Just hold on, I'll get you some water." She says, bringing over a bottle and putting her hand behind his head, helping him up to drink. When he starts to cough, she pulls it away and let's him breathe.
     "Are you feeling any better than yesterday?" She asks, laying his head back down, gently.
     "Still weak. Don't think I'll be better." He admits.
     "Jack said these new meds will give you more of a chance. You could make it through this. I believe you can." She says.
     "Wh-hy do you want me to l-live?" He asks.
     "Because I know that even if you die, I'll never really be free. The world will never see me as anything more than a criminal, I wanna prove that I'm more. I wanna show you the real Kate." She claims.
     He gives a skeptical look, he wasn't all there. "You're lying."
     "Lying about what?" She asks, starting to dry the sweat from his face and neck. "Come on now, don't fall asleep on me."
     "Lying about real Kate. You don't care 'b-bout anyone but you."
     "That's where you're wrong, Edward. If I only cared about me, I wouldn't be taking care of you. You're the one person on this island who knows that I'm a criminal. You were so weak, if you died, I'd be a free woman here. I helped Jack find those meds because I want you to live. I know you have a family. A wife, two daughters in college, and a son in middle school. I know your older daughter is engaged. I'm guessing you want to be at her wedding."
     He turns away, blinking tears out of his eyes. "I wanna hold my babies again."
     "And I promise I'll help you get back to them, but you need to promise me something else."
     He nods, still not looking at her. "You need to promise that if I prove to you who I really am, you're going to help me clear my name. Do we have a deal?"
     He turns and nods again. "Deal."

What do we think? Would you be interested in a few more short parts to see how this goes?