Part 1

"It's half time now and Collingwood are in the lead by fifteen. The Swans put on a great performance today but..." The TV buzzed quietly in the dark room, casting a flickering blue light upon the old man's closed eyes.

The front door opened with a crack as the cold, night air seeped in. The crack widened until the silhouette of a tall man appeared in the doorway. He stepped in slowly but immediately stopping at the creak of the wooden floorboards. He looked smoothly to the old man through the archway and proceeded to walk towards the steps, confident the man was fast asleep.

As the intruder made his way to the top of the carpeted, apartment stairs he stopped and raised his head calmly, as if he were a dog, caught a scent.

Calmly, he proceeded down the small hallway with two doors on each side until he reached the end. Turning to the last right door, he paused, taking a moment before slipping his hand over the handle and pushing down gently. The door slowly moved open and hit something on the other side. The intruder silently cursed and looked up to see if he had awoken the sleeper but it was too dark in the room to tell. The moonlight emerging from the window cast a light on a small form under many layers of quilting, the body moving up and down, breathing.

The man moved closer to the bed and looked down on the sleeping being, stepping into the moonlight.

He had short, scruffy black hair, deep blue eyes... And a cream trench coat.

•part 2 coming soon•