Chapter 26 "Things Went Sideways"

After a phone call from General Biggs, the Mayor of Chicago got in touch with the owner of the Bulls. He opened up the United Center for the senior citizens from the senior complex fire.

After arriving back at the Firehouse, Severide hurries back to the locker room. He gets into his locker and grabs his phone.
All he gets is ringing, finally it goes to voicemail, "This is Benny Severide. I can't take your call right now, so leave a message."
"You can NEVER take calls! It seems Vince Keeler is back! Myself and my guys have been shot at twice today! You better be getting back with me!" Severide says in a pissed off tone, hanging up.
He puts his phone in his pocket, walks out to the Common area and out to the Squad table.
Sitting down, Severide runs his hands through his hair, "It's been a crazy beginning of the day, hasn't it Lieutenant" Tony says to Severide.
"It sure has!" he says to Tony.
Tony, Capp, Kannell, and Cruz all look at each other, "What is it?" Severide asks them.
"It's about Shaylynn and her guys" Capp says to him.
"What about them?" Severide asks.
"The things they do, the things they have...do you know what they did before coming here?" Cruz asks.
"Yes" Severide tells his men.
"Care to share?" Capp asks Severide.
Severide looks at his men, "All of them were in the Military. Dan was with the Army, Dave with the Air Force, Rob was in the Navy, and both Butch and Shaylynn were in the Marines" he tells them.
"What about now? What are they apart of?" Tony asks.
"Shaylynn really didn't go into a lot of detail about that. She said they work for a company that's based in New York as private contractors. For like what Chicago is experiencing with these hate groups, they offer extra security and do things the CPD can't do" he tells them.
"And you're alright with that?" Capp asks.
Severide looks at him, "What am I to say to her? That I don't like what she does! How can I say that? I run into fires for a living!"
"But aren't bullets more dangerous?" Capp asks Severide.
"How are they more dangerous than fire? Because they come from a gun? We all know how dangerous fire is not being able to predict what it does. Or when we go to accidents, anything can happen at them. Bullets go in one direction, straight. It's the person holding the gun you have to worry about, not the gun itself. I believe Shaylynn and her guys are a force not to mess with! I'm not saying this just because I'm engaged to her, but I wouldn't want to mess with any of them!" he tells his guys.
"But being Hank's daughter and not telling anyone about her, what's that all about?" Capp asks him.
"I'm not sure about that. I never asked her and I'm not asking Hank" Severide tells him.
Severide's phone rings, he looks down at it, "I have to take this!" he tells his guys.
He stands up, walks out of the stalls, and down the driveway.
"Will you ever take my calls?!" Severide says into his phone.
"What do you mean Vince Keeler is back?" Benny asks his son.
"Just what I said! Earlier today, Squad was going down the road and we were shot at. Then we went to a fire and were shot at again. This time the shooter told why and who they were shooting at. They were shooting at me because of Vince Keeler!" Severide tells him.
"There's no way Keeler can be back!" Benny tells him.
"How do you know he can't be back in Chicago?" Severide asks him.
"Keeler can't be back in Chicago because he's...." Benny starts to say, but stops.
"Because he's what?" Severide questions.
"He just can't be back! That's enough of that! I'll call Hank and talk to him! I have to go!" Benny says hanging up.
"Perfect!" Severide says walking back up and into the stalls.
"Everything alright, Lieutenant?" Tony asks him.
"Yeah" Severide says with a look on his face.
"Well, if it's not I'm sure who's walking up the driveway will make it all better!" Capp says to Severide.
Severide turns around and sees Shaylynn walking up in very different clothes.
He stands up as she walks into the stalls.
Shaylynn walks up to him and gives him a kiss.
"AWWW!" the Squad guys say making kissing noises.
Severide looks over at them. Shaylynn looks at them smiling.
"Why are you here?" Severide asks her.
"I wanted to tell you in person that I'm going to be helping the Intelligence Unit and going under cover with Burgess, Lindsay, and Upton" she tells him.
"Is that the reason for the clothes?" he asks.
"What? You don't like what I'm wearing?" Shaylynn asks him with a smile as they walk out of the stalls, out to the driveway. 

Severide looks down and then back up at her, "Oh no! I like it a lot! Just wish it wasn't for under cover and was for me! Or better yet, you were going under the covers with me!" he says with a sly grin

"Kiss him already and let's get going!" Lindsay yells from the car.
Shaylynn turns around and gives Lindsay a glare.
"I better be going!" she tells Severide, giving him a kiss.
"Stay safe!" he tells her.
Shaylynn smiles at him, "I will!"
She starts walking down the driveway to Lindsay's car.
"BYE, KELLY!" the other ladies yell in a high pitch whining type tone as Lindsay pulls away.
Severide smiles and walks back into the stalls.

Later on as night falls, a call comes in....

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, 750 South Clinton Street, hostage situation, presence requested for support"

The crews load up and head out.

Arriving at the scene, they see that the Intelligence Unit is there along with a lot of CPD and the FBI.
Severide gets an uneasy feeling when he sees Hank and Sam talking by Sam's car.
He jumps down off the Squad truck and rushes over.
Hank and Sam see him rushing toward them, "What's going on?" he ask them.
"Things went sideways! The ladies are being held hostage along with the rest of the club!" Hank tells Severide.