The Real Goodbye

The cab ride to the airport was one of the most awkward moments of my life. Ashton absentmindidly drummed on the arm rest while he looked out the window. I didn't understand why I even came along. I mean, yeah, Ashton was my boyfriend of three years. He WAS. Not anymore.

I had been the one to end it. Ashton and his band, 5 Seconds of Summer, were going on a year long world tour. He told me when the plans were made. That's when I started losing hope. A whole year? And when the dates were realeased, there were only two stops relatively near to our San Fransico condo. Plus, the boys had spread out but long breaks, which sounded fine. But they were all in swperate contries. That's when I pretty much gave up. I strung it out for a couple months because I truly did love him, but he could tell. We talked about my worries about a month ago.

"Really babe? That's what you want?"

All I could do was nod. I'm horrible at tears. It takes eons for me to conjure some up and eons to stop them once they start.

"Fine," he nodded solemnly. "But. I woudlnt be able to handle the while friend thing. It would hurt too much." I sighed. I had figured. Behind the muscles and badass drummer persona, he was a little pile of romantic mush. "And we can still make this work until I leave." I almost rejected this, but, despite myself, I wanted it too. "And," I groaned, "hear me out now Sydney!" I nodded. "If you haven't moved on by the time the tours over, we pick up right where we left off. Ok?"

"Ashton Irwin. You have many needs. But I agree to your terms and conditions, sign me up." My lame joke earned only a feeble laugh.

That brought me here, the airport.

Ready to end this.

Ready for the real goodbye.