Chapter Five

Chapter 5

Luke kept true to his word. He started bugging me as soon as visiting hours started.

"Sydney? Sydney?" He pulled a signature pout. I sighed, rolling over so I faced the back of the chair and not his face.

"I'm not leaving Ash alone." I owed it to him to make sure he's okay.

"Syd? He's not in here." Calum raised an eyebrow.

"What?" I rolled back over. Ashton's bed was empty, blankets strewn across the mattress. "Oh." I looked around the room. "Where is he? And Michael?"

"He actually went to shower, like you're about to. He's getting checked out today. Michael went to get him some clothes."

"I can't use showers at the hospital!" They were for the patients.

"Sierra said it would be ok." Calum smiled distantly.

"Who's Sierra?"

"The nurse. Calum seems to fancy her." Luke laughed, teasingly nudging Calum and making 'ooo' noises. Calum blushed, punching his arm.

I gave in, pushing the blanket and chair away. Tight pains shot through my knees, back, and neck. I'd been sitting there for too long. I fought the urge to get on the floor and stretch as Luke handed me a towel.

"There's shampoos and conditioners in there I think."

I nodded, following the signs in the hall to the Patients Showers.

The nurse from the first night, the one who changed his bandages, passed me by. She glared at me in a way that reminded me of the lady at the coffee shop all those days ago.

I pushed the metal on the door and looked around. There were separate showers, thankfully, sectioned off with walls and curtains. I breathed carefully when I saw the bottoms of Ashton's legs and feet under one of the curtains. I picked the stall next to him and hung my towel and clothes on the rack outside. Ashton was humming still when I turned the water on. I yanked on the rusty temperature dial, willing it to move. Cold water hit my skin and goosebumps appeared on my skin. The water finally warmed up, soothing my tight muscles.

"Katy don't cry I know

You're trying your hardest

And the hardest part is

Letting go of the nights we shared."

My heart clenched as he started singing. Miserable at Best by Mayday Parade. The song had always been one of my favourites, but I never expected to relate. I ran my hands under the water and tried to keep myself from crying.

"Let's not pretend like you're alone tonight

I know he's there and

You're probably hanging out and making eyes

While across the room he stares

I'll bet he gets the nerve to walk the floor and ask my girl to dance

And she'll say yes."

I could hear the truth and pain in his voice. The hot tears mixed in with the shower water as I stood there motionless.

"But I guess

That I can live without you but Without you I'll be miserable at best."

I took in shaky breaths to calm myself. I pumped some of the cheap hospital shampoo into my hands and started cleaning my hair.

"You're all that I hoped I'd find

In every single way

And everything I could give