9~ A Man Who Lives Fully

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

~ Mark Twain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, by the later afternoon, Jake, Jenna, and Quentin were relocated to the new apartment. It wasn't as old and rancid as Jenna thought; it was homey, with washed down floor boards and baby blue wall paint. The only thing that made her curious were the family portraits on the wall that definitely weren't hers. It was a set of parents with two children, a boy and a girl, sitting on the porch of what looked to be a beach house.

"Jake," she took one of the photos off the wall and went to the bedroom to find him. 

"Yeah?" Jake was already unpacking his suitcase, taking out what little he needed and stuffing them into the drawers.

"Who are these people?" she asked. Jake stopped and looked at the photograph, then he had a little 'ah-ha' moment.

"There was a man who brought his family to stay here for a week. He was testifying as a key witness in the Carlos Fenzel case," he replied.

"And he was encouraged to bring old photographs?" she asked.

"More for his family's sake, then anything. But after two days, the mom took the kids and the dog and they went to stay with the grandparents in Minnesota," he said. Jenna took another glance at the picture.

"That's a lovely story," she said. 

"I'm done!" Quentin called. They went out to meet him, now having to get used to the new living quarters, "Why couldn't I bring my xbox?" he asked.

"Because we won't be here very long," Jenna replied, then she turned to her boyfriend, "Right Jake?"

"Right," he nodded, "I know this is all kind of sudden, but we're going to make the best out of it. Think of it as like a mini vacation," he said.

"I'd rather have gone to Hawaii," Quentin said.

"Don't you have homework or something to do?" Jenna asked.

"Yeah, but I'm tired," he replied, "And I don't have my xbox. Could I go to the park?"

"No," Jake replied, "From now on, you are not to go anywhere by yourself -- ever. Okay?"

"What about you and Jenna?" he asked.

Jenna sighed and crossed her arms, "Quentin, go watch TV in the other room," she said. He was about to reply, but he then saw the glare she was giving him, and he didn't have to think twice. He just nodded and scampered off. When they heard the bedroom door close, Jenna then turned to Jake, who felt like he had just been put on the spot in a dunk tank.

"... Are you going to yell at me?" he asked.

"No," she replied, "Not yet, anyway. Depends on how long we have to stay in the Hotel Hide-and-Seek," 

Jake nodded as he sat down on the couch, "I promise you, I'm going to find this guy. We're so close already, you know that," he said.

"I do," she sat with him, "I'm just worried. Not just for our safety, for yours. Cops are being killed in the streets, and the last time I checked: you're a cop," she said.

"So, I'm not going to let this guy scare me. I have to do my job," he replied. Jenna didn't seem to buy it. He sighed and pulled her in by the shoulder.

"Come here," he pulled her closer, lifting her legs and twisting her so her knees sat comfortably on his lap. Jenna started to crack a smile. 

"Schmoozing me is not going to get me to feel better," she said.