13~ Worth a Dime

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

~ Babe Ruth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lights hurt.

That was Jake's first thought as he eyes slid open, being engulfed in the bright white light that made his head split with an ache. But then, the light slowly subdued, and he found himself in a hospital ward. 

Jenna heard him take a sharp breath, and in an instant she was awake and alert. She sat up in her chair, watching anxiously as Jake began to sit up.

"Welcome back," she said, "How do you feel?"

"... Ow," he groaned. 

"The surgeon said you were lucky; a few centimetres higher you could've torn a hole through your lungs," she said.

"It feels that way," he said, "Where's Quentin?"

"He's fine, he's with Lex and Jana," 

"That's why I'm worried. Jana spoils the kid," he chuckled. But Jenna wasn't smiling, "Am I in the dog house?"

"I just got a call from Lex... another cop and kid were shot at a city market," she said, "This time he was a hispanic," 

Jake felt like somebody had just punched him in the gut. He sighed and sunk back down into the bed, "You think he was the one who did the drive-by?" he asked.

"Dave is looking into it right now," she replied, "But people everywhere are up in arms about the whole situation. The police are taking more heat then ever,"  That made Jake give another groan of dis-satisfaction. Lex would have to make another press conference, there would be more violence in the streets, and he'd probably get another black eye. But suddenly, Jake had a thought.

"... Charles Manson," he said.

"I think he's too old, Jake," she replied.

"Lex got a call from the M.E, both Freddie and Travis were shot up with oxycodon. Charles Manson manipulated his followers into killing for him," he explained.

"Thus the rebirth of the term 'helter skelter'," she said, "The pure act of violent chaos and nonsense. And The Beatles forever ruined,"

"Manson convinced his followers that a race war was on the rise between whites and blacks. So to instigate it, he had them commit -- 'helter skelter' -- to kick it off. He got off on watching everybody's terror," he suddenly sat up and pulled the covers off, making Jenna sit up on edge.

"What're you doing?" she asked.

"I got to get out of here! I got a helter skelter wannabe to lock up!" he started pulling off the hoses from under his gown.

"Jake, you haven't been cleared by a doctor!" she said, "You could hurt yourself even more!"

"Jenna, I love you. And I love that you care for me, but right now, I got to -- argh!" he hunched over and clutched his side.

"Don't make me say 'I told you so'," she said as she helped him back into bed. Jake huffed and ran a hand through his air.

"Well, when can I get out of here?" he asked.

"When the doctor says 'yay' or 'nay'," she replied. Right on cue, Lex walked in.

"Hey, there he is!" he exclaimed happily, "How you feeling?"