Spoilers for Tower of Dawn Ahead (Go read it I'm serious)

The war room was empty.  Or as empty as one could be with an immortal presence dominating it. Rowan had gotten away. Aelin had gotten away. The sentries Maeve had sent to retrieve Aelin had failed. The shipping company had failed. Of course, Maeve was still winning. They didn't know that  much.

The door clicked open and Ghamlin entered with a low bow. "My lady. There is news from the South. The kharankui, they activated the beacon." His words brightened Maeve's mood considerably.

"Good, very good," Maeve cooed. 

Ghamlin looked confused. "M'lady, I don't understand. The more enemies we have the worse off we are. Right?"

Maeve's eyes flicked to him before staring at something in the distance. "Fool. With the help of the South, Aelin's army might actually stand a chance against the three kings. All we need to do is ensure her safety. After all, we still need a sacrifice for the lock. This, Ghamlin, is why your the Prison Master and not the General. You lost our most important prisoner though. Perhaps you could do with a different position peasant. Get out. If I ever see you again. You'll Fade in one of your own dungeons." The former prison master scurried away like a rat in a gutter.

Maeve needed to think. Orcus and Mantyx would come. Erawan would make sure of that. Aelin and Rowan would cause some trouble. And with the South was rising Aelin could finish at least one of the kings. Her healers could purge the others. For now, Maeve was just going to let the armies rip each other to shreds. Once they were finished with each other, well, Maeve would be the only one left wouldn't she. Maeve smiled; she could finally leave this wretched world.

- - -

Aelin, Feyre, Rhys, Elain, and Azriel walked along the Sidra. The last they had seen, Cassian had been stomping off towards the townhouse with Nesta on his heels.

Moonlight glinted cheerfully off the water, oblivious to Cassian's moods. Feyre and Aelin were in a heated discussion about who was a better ship; Wesper or Kanej. Feyre adored Wesper, but Aelin preferred Kanej. Rhys was mysin and Elain was talking softly to Azriel. 

Suddenly, Rhys started. "Lucien broke the barrier."