Chapter 5.

“Marissa I swear if I ever caused you to do this to yourself I would slit my wrists and end my life. You are too perfect to feel this way about yourself. You are the most beautiful, intelligent, and all around perfect girl I’ve ever met in my life. You need to tell me now if I have even the slightest involvement in this.”

“Mitchell of course you don’t. You’re the reason I’m not dead yet. I get up and endure the torture I get because I know at least I’ll see you. And I know I’m not your number one.” I said as I turned my head to look out the window.

“You’ve thought about ending your life? Marissa, I couldn’t go on without you.”

“You lie. Yes actually I have. You have a girlfriend, so I know I’m second best, which is horrible on me because you’re always going to be number one, forever. Life is pointless unless I’m around you.”

“Oh Marissa, If you ever killed yourself I would have no reason to do anything anymore. Not even breathe. You’re my angel in the night. I don’t have the connection with her that I have with you. I’ve been thinking about ending it for a while now, I just don’t want to see her cry. Do you understand?” He said as he held my neck and ever so gently turned my head so I was looking directly at him.

 He gazed in my eyes for what seemed like an eternity. We were both sitting cross-legged on my bed. He took my arms and pulled down my sleeves; hiding my scars, hiding my shame. Then he grabbed both my hands and looked me in the eyes.

 He took a breath as if he was going to say something, but then just looked down. We sat in silence for about five more minutes or so and then the unthinkable; I was looking down at my feet and I heard “I Love You.”

My eyes shot up to meet his gaze. Without even having to think, I said

“I Love You, Too.”

“Really?” He asked as if he didn’t believe me.

“Yes, really.” I said uncontrollably smiling and blushing. Mitchell sort of giggled.

“You’re so cute when you blush.”

“Well I think it’s embarrassing and ugly as hell.” I replied.Doubting myself again.

“I beg to differ.” He argued with a wide grin across his mouth.

Mitchell stood up and walked over to my closet door and studied the list. I could see in his eyes that he was really concentrating and thinking. I walked over and stood next to him waiting for him to speak.

“Aren’t these the people who give you crap for being quote on quote emo?” He asked sympathetically.

“Yep all the people I plan on eventually killing.”

“I don’t blame you. I would, too.”

“Y’know, maybe they’re all right. Maybe I am fat and stupid and ugly and emo.” I realized sadly.

“No, Marissa. You are none of those things. If you were all of those things I wouldn’t do this.”...