Chapter 12 Firelight

Her back was toward him and he didn't much pay attention to the woman as she slowly turned with her head down. "I have some moonlight I need delivered." She lifted her head her eyes meeting the dark of his sunglasses.

"Mercy? Mercy!" He flew to where she stood practically knocking her over. His enthusiasm was uncharacteristically funny since his demeanor always belied his true feelings. Before she could speak another word, he wrapped an arm around her neck pulling her into a long, hungry kiss.

"Mmm, now that's the way to greet a lady." She brushed his cheek with her hand. "Just as I remembered but sweeter."

"What are you doing here? How did you know I would be here?" Bam had a dozen questions for her.

She was amused by his bewilderment. "I'll answer all your questions but let's give the harbour master back his office. Are you hungry?" She asked.

"I could eat." He responded taking hold of her hand. They made their way down the ramp and scouted out a quiet place to eat.

"You're staring." He hadn't taken his eyes off of her.

"I can't believe you're here and besides you're a beautiful sight. I could look at you all night."

"All night? That has a nice ring to it." Mercy gazed at him memorizing every feature of his face losing herself in his soulful blue eyes.

"I can't stay tonight. We're headed up the coast with some deliveries." Mercy interrupted him before he could finish his explanation. She handed him the second page of Rain's letter.

Dear Big Brother,

In the event Mercy was able to make it to POW, you can thank me later. You have two days with her before we pick you up on the ride home. Don't screw it up. See you on Monday. I left your pack at the dock.

Love,
Rain
XOXOXO

P.S. I really like her.

Bam shook his head and laughed at the thought of his little sister orchestrating this reunion. He would have to give her credit for getting it by him without giving any indication of what she was planning.

"You have a great sister to go through all this trouble."

"She's a keeper alright. Now what about us?" Bam reached for her hand playing with her fingers.

Mercy bit her lip nervously. "I thought, if it was okay with you, that maybe you would like to stay with me.....tonight......just us......alone."

Bam loved her hesitation. "Why Mercy Reid, are you inviting me to spend the night with you?" He toyed with her offer as if he had the willpower or the want to say no.

After an early dinner, they meandered back to the dock and found his pack. He had to give his little sister credit, she had really done him a huge favor.

Mercy and Bam walked back to the room she had taken at a local bed and breakfast for the next two days. "Wow, you and Rain really thought this out."

"I figured if she could get you here, then maybe I could make it worth your while."

He followed her upstairs to a cozy but well appointed room that was lit by a warm fire. There was a small seating area and a wrapped basket of goodies on the table. He couldn't help but notice the sleigh bed covered in a mountain of pillows. The walls were dotted with black and white photographs of an earlier time in Alaska. "There's also a private bath." Mercy pointed at a paneled screen that hid the door to a bathroom.

"Make yourself at home." Mercy unwrapped the goody basket and pulled out a bottle of sparkling cider and poured to glasses. She took a seat next to him on the small couch.

"What shall we toast to?" She smiled holding her glass up to his.

"To beautiful women, Rain and Mercy." He clinked his glass against hers gulping down his drink and set his glass to the side. He took her glass out of her hand and sat it next to his.

"I've been wanting to do this all day." He leaned closer to her and began kissing the nape of her neck.

"So what's stopping you?" She mewed back to him.

"For one thing, I'm pretty grungy from the trip. If you don't mind holding that thought, I'd like a quick shower." He headed towards the bathroom pulling his t-shirt over his head. Mercy sat quietly back on the couch enjoying the view as he disappeared behind the paneled screen.

While he showered, she slipped out of her clothes and into the softness of the sleigh bed. It may have been the excitement of the day or the warmth from the fireplace but she quickly fell asleep waiting for his shower to finish. He rounded the paneled screen talking to her and in the firelight saw her snuggled under the covers asleep. He dried his hair by the fire before moving to where she slept dropping his towel and slipping in bed next to her. He nestled her in the curve of his chest, wrapping his leg over hers, and he too fell asleep as the light of the fireplace danced on the walls.

Bam woke several hours later and watched Mercy as she slept. He traced a gentle finger down the side of her face causing her to awake from her slumber.

"You're doing it again," she whispered suddenly realizing they were both naked and in the same bed. "You're staring at me again."

"I'm not staring. I'm just enjoying the view. It's spectacular from where I lay."

"I didn't realize just how much I wanted to see you again." Mercy moved closer to him her hand resting on his hip under the covers.

Bam slowly pushed the covers down revealing every inch of her. "What are doing?" She felt exposed and attempted to pull the covers back over herself.

"No, stop. I want to see all of you. I want to learn every inch of your body." His hand softly grazed the full curve of her body from her shoulder to her hips. "God, you're beautiful."

Body like a back road- Sam Hunt