letter to lark

Dimitri Racanelli doesn't believe Faye Park as she explains why she isn't sure about Emory anymore. Dee doesn't want to believe it. He's confused, because Faye told him to stay clear of Emory for a while, but he doesn't understand why.

Dee decides it's time to pay a visit to Emory. He leaves Faye's house without an explanation. Dee drove to Emory's house without thinking, and was there within minutes.

A wooden door was all that kept Emory and Dee apart. With one knock, the door opened and Dee's smile faded. Emory's  hair was messy and knotted. Her eyes were tired and baggy, with no trace of her usual self. Something had gone wrong.

Emory started to close the door, her head shaking, lungs beginning to burn, and tears threatening to fall. Dee pushed back against the door, just enough to stop Emory's efforts.

He opened the door and gave a half-smile to the girl on the other side. He came inside, noticing that she was alone. The apartment smelled like it always did. Emory used the same vanilla scented candles in her apartment. Floral perfume added to the aroma, reminding Dee of Emory's typical smell. It all seemed familiar, but it wasn't.

Moments later, Dee walks with Emory into the living room. he tells her to sit down, and that he'll make something to eat. Dee's not a very confident cook, but his friend needs him. He walks out the doorway of the living room and enters the kitchen.

The counter is clear except for a crumpled up piece of paper. Dee unfolds the paper and is instantly confused. He sees Emory's writing, in the format of a letter. The problem becomes that is it being sent to a girl named Larkin, who he doesn't know. Dimitri figures that's the girl Faye was talking about.

He's not trying to snoop, but Dee can't help but peek at the letter.

I'm sorry for everything. I've been thinking, and I guess I was the bad guy all along.

I blamed you for something you didn't do, but instead that I did.

Why did you really go away, Lark?

Was it because I was a bully with you under my spell?

I like to think I've changed. I like to thank that Faye doesn't see me as that girl that I was and I like to think that my friends Dee and Ian can see me how I am now.

I like to think that you forgive me.

Yours Truly,

Emory Fuller

-

Dee crumples the paper back up and pulls out a can of coke from Emory's fridge and puts mac and cheese into a pan on the stove. He cannot believe what he just read.