Chapter Five

Song - "Ode to Sleep ('Only Skeleton Bones Remain' Intro)" by twenty one pilots

This intro to the song gives me chills every time omg

TRIGGER WARNING - self harm, depression, psychopathic behavior, violence

stay safe, and stay alive my fren

x Laura

Tyler's POV

I take a deep, long breath, trying to slow the rapid pounding of my heart. I close my eyes to gain some composure and begin.

"Nothing really makes sense unless I start at the beginning, I guess, so if you don't mind, this may take a while," I say, still secretly hoping that Hypatia will back out. I mean, sure, I am a criminal and all that, and of course I have a deep, personal, cliché backstory, but that doesn't mean I'd really like to share it with another living, thinking human being who can form her own opinions about me.

"It's fine, we've got the rest of our lives to rot down here. I mean, you'll probably get rescued, but I'll be down here until eternity, so please, do continue," Tia sasses. I roll my eyes, chuckling at her attitude. She smiles, which in turn makes me blush. Why am I blushing? What is going on? ABORT. ABORT.

"So, u-um, I guess my story starts when I was in Level 2 of middle school, so I was probably 12 years old or so. I was bullied a lot, but I got used to it, and I never really told anyone. I was still happy, I guess, but it was around then when I noticed something wasn't right, something was just off with me, y'know? I was really clever, and I could bullshit my way through anything. But I had these urges, almost, to do bad things. (A/N: self harm trigger warning) I took it out on myself at first, and that's when I started cutting, I guess. But then, one time after school got out, I walked home to find my house in ruins. My entire family died in the fire that burned my house to the ground. I became really impulsive and, when I was 14 years old, I started going crazy. I-I burned my school to the ground, I killed people, I-I-"

My voice cracked, and I felt hot tears run down my cheeks, tears that I had never shed before. I had never grieved, never felt remorseful before. In all seriousness, I still didn't feel sorry. But I did feel this foreign emotion now: grief. I clear my throat, avoiding looking at Hypatia at all costs, and continue.

"It was probably only six months later that I got caught. I was underage, so they couldn't really do anything to me. They finally figured out that I am, quite frankly, a psychopath. Whenever I tried to do schoolwork or anything, I found I had complete disregard for it. I was aggressive and irritable, and I-"

All of a sudden, the memories overwhelmed me. I am no longer in a prison cell; I'm back in the lab.

I'm seventeen years old again. They have my arms and legs tied down to the lab table, and my mouth taped shut because of all the fighting I did earlier. The scientists were talking in low tones to my left, and when I listened closely, I could hear what they were saying.

"-that's why we tried to kill the whole Knighton family before, Grey."

"I know, but he may not be as bad as we think. We could use him for our own purposes."

"How? I mean, for goodness' sake, he went on a killing spree at the age of fourteen because his family was gone! Can you imagine what he'd do to us if he ever found out that we were the ones who killed his family? It's too much of a risk. We should-"

The stout scientist never got to finish his sentence, as I screamed at the top of my lungs. My body burst into flames, and with inhuman strength, I ripped off the restraints and the tape off of my mouth. In one swift motion, I had killed the shorter scientist, and I looked over at 'Grey.'