Chapter Six

Song - Young And Menace by Fall Out Boy

I still dont know how I feel about this song tbh cuz i kinda like it sort of but its just so different from old FOB (which isnt a bad thing ig) but i can't stop listening to it and it fits with the chapter so

Tyler's POV

I sigh while opening my eyes. It's been a long couple of months down here. And the only reason I know it's been months is because the scientists here vaguely tell Hypatia how long we've both been here when she's taken away to God knows where. She doesn't talk about it, and I definitely don't want to reopen fresh wounds that would only agitate the both of us.

With nothing else to do while Hypatia is doing who knows what, I allow my mind to wander.

What have I done to end up here?

Well, that's a question I really don't want to answer.

Why not? Shouldn't I take responsibility for my actions?

Well, sure, I guess, but-

Why do I avoid thinking about that?

I don't know-

Am I trying to avoid feeling guilty?

I-

Why do we feel guilty? Regardless of how messed up I am, I still have a conscience somehow, even though, as a psychopath, I shouldn't have one. How do I not recognize that what I do is wrong?

It's for the greater good and besides, I'm clinically insane.

Why do I make up excuses for myself?

I'm not making excuses-

Why do people feel the need to pin blame on something other than themselves? Why do we try to sympathize with others while we know that either way, the truth will bluntly wound others?

Why do we try to help people? Is it an attempt to put meaning into our lives, or merely a way to soothe our consciences while the "changes" we make truly do nothing?

Why are we so greedy? What is greed? What is happiness?

Why am I not happy? Why can't I find the happiness that everyone has found or is chasing after?

Does happiness even exist as a lasting idea? Or is it just a fleeting impression used to trick us into believing there is something more than just this universe?

I'm so lost in thought that I don't even notice when Hypatia comes back and is banging her fist against the bars against my cell.

"Tyler! C'mon, we have to go now!" Tia whisper-yells at me.

I snap my head up at the sound of her voice and find that she's standing outside of my cell with no shackles, chains, or guards in sight. I stare at her, bewildered.

"I stole one of the guard's keys while he was obviously shit drunk," she shrugs sheepishly while jamming the key into the lock on my cell.

I jump up to help her only to be yanked back by the handcuffs still attached to the wall.

"Easy there, buddy," she chuckles quietly. "I'm gonna let you out."

She soon is in my cell and is trying to jam the key into the lock against the wall. When it's obviously not the right key, she swears loudly.

"Alright, Tyler, you have to yank these off the wall, 'cause we've got no other options now."

"What?" I ask, eyes widening in surprise.