(1 7)

The key to partying in Los Angeles, I've learned, while under the watchful and ubiquitous eye of the media, is to maintain a level of class at all times. To a certain degree. You can get as drunk as you like but you have to be drunk with grace or be disgraced. That has always been one of Brenna's favourite sayings to me, especially as I was acclimatising to the Los Angeles socialite lifestyle.

So now, as we all sit around a table in Hooch Bar just off of Matlin Falls's main street, we hold an air of distinction above the bustling crowd on the dance floor. While the bar might not have a VIP area, we as a group are making sure that we put ourselves above the messy antics taking place. Although with the amount of alcohol currently on the table and being ingested, I would say that it won't be too long before a few of us would be participating in these antics.

The bass makes the walls pulsate and the mass of bodies beat with the music. I feel it in my bones, urging me to sway to the music, to get up and immerse myself in the crowd.

"Triple cheers!" Sydney's yell cuts through the music and I draw my eyes away from the dancers and add my glass to the others. The custom of triple cheers is really quite simple; instead of just meeting glasses and taking a small sip, you have to finish your drink. Seeing that I still have over three quarters of my double vodka coke left, I brace myself for the incoming hit of alcohol.

It burns its way down my throat, blazing fire all the way into my stomach. I have to fight against the urge to cough and vomit at the same time and once I manage to settle my stomach, the alcohol flies up to my head making me simultaneously dizzy and desperate for more. Thankfully, Liam appears to be on the same page as me regarding alcohol consumption tonight and our hands meet reaching for the bottle of champagne in the bowl on the table. His eyes shine with happiness as we enjoy the time to relax on this new page we've reached together. I can't help but to grin.

We end up on the dance floor pretty soon after and Brenna grabs my hands, dragging me in random motions to dance and I throw my head back in laughter. Despite the occasional glance from the odd person, we don't encounter any interruptions from the other patrons at the bar. A sheen of sweat has collected on my brow from the heat of the dance floor and I excuse myself to get some fresh air.

The smoking area is sparse with only a handful of people loitering in small groups enjoying their smoking break. I reach into my own clutch and retrieve a cigarette and lighter, feeling urged to copy the actions of those around me. As I relax, perched on the curb I take a moment to gaze around at the congregated smokers; a pair of older men with balding heads and stomachs bloated with years of drinking beer; a group of three younger girls, probably Elsa and Hazel's age taking advantage of the gullible bouncers; and finally a solitary figure, leaning against a black pickup truck. His features are coated in shadow. He's not smoking, he just stares at the ground, deep in thought with his brow furrowed in concentration, or frustration. I find myself intrigued by what could be occupying his thoughts but suddenly he looks up and moves from the shroud of darkness.

Of course.

It's Finn.

He moves back towards the door, but again, like he senses me watching him, our eyes meet again. The cigarette falls from my fingers and my instincts yell at me to run but I am rooted to my spot on the floor. After a moment, his course changes and heads towards me instead. My body jumps into action at that point and I take off down the road, away from the bar, away from my friends, away from Finn. I'm halfway down the high street when I stumble to a halt. My hands on my thighs, I fight to catch my breath and steadiness as the ground sways beneath my feet. Thoughts are spinning through my mind with panic and drunkenness.

Once I've steadied myself, I take in my surroundings. I've ended up at the end of the main street. It's peaceful, there's nobody around me, no Finn following me. The only sounds to be heard is my laboured breathing and the gusts of wind as they pass through the street. I want to punch myself for my pathetic reaction, all I had to do was walk back into the bar and disappear into the crowd but now I'm stranded here on the sidewalk and all I want to do is go home. I send a quick message to Liam telling him that I've left and take a seat on the sidewalk to peruse my options. The cold air has sobered me up and having seen my grandma, Hugh, and Finn all in the last few weeks I'm craving the company of my sisters.

Without thought, in the next five minutes, I'm sitting in a taxi on my way to my childhood home. My stomach is in knots at the thought of seeing my younger sisters. They used to tell me that they looked up to me or that I was their role model, but I guess they never knew how pathetic I really was. I hid my issues well it seems. Then I vanished and abandoned them, and I have no idea what they're going to think of me now.

We pull up to the house too soon and I feel the need to vomit but I pay the driver and I find myself staring up at my home which I haven't seen since the day I left. The lights to the living room are on indicating that at least someone is in. With a deep breath, I step up to the door and ring the bell.

***

Author's Note:

Hola carinos,

I know it's been a while, but things have been beyond chaotic at uni these last few weeks involving more than a few mental breakdowns! But I before all that I went on a bit of a writing spree and these next few chapters coming up are all VERY JUICY, if I do say so myself!

So as always, please VOTE, COMMENT, and DO ALL THE SOCIALS!

Besitos,

-L