Chapter Two: Growing Up

Those first days in Hogwarts were amazing for the most part. I spent most of my time talking and hanging out with Scorpius, though as a duo we did talk to and make friends with other people. Besides Lily, I avoided my other cousins and brother like the plague. I also neglected to write back to my parents, or even open their letters, which would obviously ask which house I had been sorted into. Besides, my brother must have written to them on my behalf, offering his opinion on the situation.

However, my schedule was good. The other first years were nice, and it looked like I was going to do well in most of my classes this year. My favorite class was Care of Magical creatures. My brother and other cousins often visited Hagrid, but I had always loved his stories about his creatures the most. I went to see him during the evening on my first day. I wanted to talk to him about being sorted into Ravenclaw before I talked to anyone else.

It was sunny out, and warm, and with a slight breeze trailing the last caresses of summer against your cheek. But though I felt liberated being in my own house, I still felt a pit of dread in my stomach. I was looking down, lost in thougt as I made my way to Hagrid's house. When I got to his hut I looked up and my breath hitched as I saw a beautiful creature just before the hut. It was huge bird and lion like thing. Then, I realized who it was. Buckbeak! I had heard so many wonderful things about this creature. 

He had helped Uncle Harry and my mom and dad on one of their early adventures. They had had to save Uncle Harry's godfather from the dementors kiss. That is one thing I loved about our parents, they had had so many adventures, that they never ran out of exciting and amazing stories to entertain the children.

I remembered what my father had told me to do if you see a hippogriff, and or have to deal with one. "Step forward, bow, and don't blink. Then wait for them to bow back. If they do, you can go up and pet it. If it doesn't bow, get away real quick. Oh and whatever you do, don't insult it."

So I stepped forward. I bowed, and I didn't blink. I didn't dare to breathe as I waited for Buckbeak to react. Slowly, as if he had all the time in the world, he stood up, and bent into a bow. I relaxed and went and gently pet him. Buckbeak nuzzled into my hand. Honestly it felt like petting a very dangerous parrot, who could, at any moment, bite you in half. Once I realized I only had a bit of time until I had to be the Ravenclaw common room, I slowly backed away, and went to the worn, wooden door of Hagrid's hut.

I knocked on Hagrid's door and it wasn't easy to knock. The huge door to the huge hut swung open immediately. "Rose!" he said not looking at all surprised to see me. "I thought that you migh' come to see me. Come in." I hurried in, sitting down at the large table. Fang, Hagrid's dog, was older now and barely lifted his head to nuzzle my knee. Hagrid sat down next to me, and looked expectanly at me. I realized I would have to be the one to start the conversation, and I didn't much feel like small talk. 

"Hagrid, let's cut to the chase. You know I'm here because I'm the first Weasley in seven generations to be sorted into any house besides Gryffindor."

"Are ye happy in Ravenclaw? It's a mighty fine house." He said, like it was the easiest problem to solve in the world.

"Yes, but my parents­-" I said exasperatedly. 

"Will understand. They were outcasts too! Yer mother, father, aunt, uncle, all of 'em."

"Really?"

"Sure. I wouldn't worry about it kid! But hey, why don't you write back to your folks?"

I groaned. "The talked to you didn't they?"

"Well, maybe they did, but they're just worried about ye'."

"I know, you're right. But I just­" my lip trembled. I put my head in my hands. "I feel like a let down."